“Seriously? Can’t you see I’m walking here?” I immediately want to eat my words. The reason I’ve stayed away from this area of campus was the crazy temper of the Taurus crowd; I really didn’t want to piss anyone off.           

         “I’m not the one looking down into a phone,”

         “Go away, Phoenix.” I try to push him out of my way, but he grabs my arm hindering me from walking away.

         “I can’t say I’ve missed your always present frown and anger towards me,” he laughs; I keep my eyes on the ground, not wanting to look into his beautiful golden eyes.

         “Then why won’t you let me leave?”

         “I'll let you leave when you look at me,”

         “Just let me go, I don’t want to be anywhere near this place or you.” I beg. In a flash his other hand is on my chin raising my face to look at his.

         “You know for some reason I don’t quite believe that.” I can feel my expression softening as his eyes catches mine. I can’t do anything to stop it, it’s like my brain is disconnected from the rest of my body.

         “Let me go,” I try again causing Phoenix to chuckle slightly.

         “You don’t want to go. Do you really think I can’t feel this too?” he whispers placing my hands on his chest, I’m surprised to see he’s actually wearing a shirt for once.

         “Feel what?” I ask even though I know exactly what he means; his heart beats just as fast as mine does, I just don’t want to admit it.

         “Is there a place we can be in private?” he suddenly asks.

         “My room. Faye won’t be back for another hour or so, she’s doing homework in the library.” I say unwillingly, not knowing why I act like this. I don’t know why I just told him that, I don’t want to be alone with him, and especially not in my own room, where there’s a bed. Oh God, this isn’t ending well.

         “Let’s go,” he whispers. I want to tell him no, but something inside me tells me I need to be alone with him. Somewhere no one can disturb us.

In my room he immediately throws himself on my bed as soon as the door is closed. I sit down carefully on Faye’s bed, keeping a safe distance between us. Right before Phoenix begins speaking, I interrupt with a question of my own.

         “Where’s Avalon?” the question throws both him and myself off, I had no clue where that just came from.

         “She’s sick.” He answers simply almost as if he’d practiced it.

         “I know she’s not sick. I saw her at the party; she was all torn up and bloody. What happened to her? Was it one of those bears?”

         “She’s hurt, okay? I can’t tell you more than that. She got in a fight with Sky, and Sky just had the upper hand. There was nothing we could do, it was between the two girls.” He explained calmly.

         “Why didn’t you intervene when you saw the fight was getting lethal? Avalon could have died!”

         “It’s gonna take a lot more than a small fight to kill her, she’s a strong girl. Why are you so far away from me? Scared of being too close?”

         “Why aren’t I allowed in the house? That Gideon guy threatened to kill me if I ever returned.”

         “Gideon is a little territorial. But he’s probably not the only one who would like to rip your head off if you went back in there. You should probably try to stay away from the house all together. There are some things going on in our house that doesn’t concern you. Don’t be scared, Jess. You won’t get hurt as long as you stay away.”