Chapter 1: The First Encounter

Copyright© 2013 Ezar Soeparman

All Rights Reserved,

The Doctor

© 2013, Ezar Soeparman ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This book contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system without express written permission from the author / publisher at: ezar96_soeparman@hotmail.com

Once upon a time, a great and wealthy man named, William Arthuro Benson or Lord Benson as he’s well known by, lived in a mansion with his wife, Janie, and their only daughter Kristin. He wasn’t the best or the nicest person, but he wasn’t entirely twisted as well. He’s kind enough to host a charity party every year and within those years, it only gets bigger, better and fancier. And also had manage to attract the richest people from overseas.

This year, William decided on a Masquerade Ball theme, and like any other charity events, everyone was keen on getting dolled up and excited on what’s to come because last year, he gave out parcels to bystanders. Kristin couldn't really grasp the concept of her father's charity parties, to her it's all just a big fancy event that had no point in it. She didn't even know which or what charity would receive all the donations at the end of the parties.

Kristin looked upon the dancing people below her from the top of the staircase and thought it was just ridiculous that she is always forced to join these things when she doesn't have any major part in it. A very nice song played by the musicians her father hired for the night, chorused through the room. It was rather upbeat and the melodies made the people dance with glee with their partners. Everyone was definitely having the best time of their lives and that made Lord Benson and his wife really happy, but Kristin was not.

"I'll talk to her." Janie says to her husband. She gave his hand a light squeeze and left his side to approach their daughter who was secluding herself from the party on the top staircase.

Kristin's blonde locks were made into a braided bun, her ivory skin made the red dress she wore pop and even though the lights were dimmed up here, her dress was sparkling. She was beautiful.

"Feeling alright sweetheart?" Janie asked. Kristin jumped upright at her mother's voice which had startled her. Of course it startled her, for she thought she was alone.

"Never better." Kristin nodded her head with a wry smile on her face.

"Then why the long face?" says her mother.

"It’s nothing." Kristin lied. Janie rubbed her daughter's arm with an uncertain look and left the conversation at that. Not wanting to push Kristin’s buttons.

Kristin watched her mother decend down the stairs and then looked down to her hands which held her mask. It was a simple red one that matched her dress. It was shiny and very pretty if only she had the enthusiasm to wear it. After a few more minutes of watching the people dance, laugh and eat, for the first time that night, Kristin put on her mask and went down to join her guests. When she reached the last step, she took the glass of champagne off a passing waiter's tray and took a sip of it, still observing her guests.

She couldn't help but laugh when the mayor and his wife danced past her. "Come on Kristin!" said the mayor's wife, Paloma, gleefully.

"Yes, come join us on the dancefloor." The mayor chuckled and twirled his wife swiftly. Kristin chuckled at how silly the mayor's wife laughed when he did. She lightly shook her head to decline. "I'm fine. Thank you for the invitation."