First Day

After dropping off Jasper and then taking Hayden into his class (which took a good fifteen minutes to figure out where it was and then another ten to talk with his teacher who apparently taught my mother also, and then saying my good wishes to my baby brother who surprisingly didn't resist and walked straight in as if he'd gone to school all his life. I actually struggled to watch him. What? He's the baby. By now Jelena and I have ten minutes to get to school. Getting in the car I look to her. "Ten minutes, you want food tomorrow?" I ask. She surprised me by shaking her head no. "You promised today and I won't have time to get breakfast anyways." "Were probably going to be late." I said raising my eyebrows. With her whole straight board act she likes to be overly punctual. Especially on the first day. She always says first impressions is the most important. "They might as well get used to it, until I get my license." She laughed. "Alright then, food it is." I say pulling out of the school parking lot. We drive through McDonald's and she gets two breakfast burritos and a large French vanilla iced coffee. I get a medium mocha frappe and two breakfast burritos. After the server hands us our bag and drinks, Jelena checks the food. "All good?" I ask. "They forgot the picante sauce." She said. I look at the window and patiently wait for the girl to come back. She does and asks what else we need with a forced smile. "Some mild and hot picante sauce please." I say with a nice tone and bright smile. I work at the McDonald's by our house part time so I know the customers mood is infectious. She apologizes and I say its alright as she rushes to the sauce station quickly grabbing a small handful of each and then hurriedly puts it in a small bag adding napkins then hands it to me. "Have a great day!" She says with a realer smile than the last. "Don't work too hard." I say as I pull off to not waste her time. Jelena unwraps a burrito halfway and hands it to me. Then she unwraps her own and opens two sauce packets, one hot and one mild. Then taking the hot packet she squirts a small amount in my burrito and I took a bite. She put more in it before putting the packet up right in the cup holder and starting on her own. I'm really going to miss her riding with me when she gets her own car. Maybe I can convince her to save gas and ride with me anyways. We arrive at school with our tummies full and a good amount of drink left. Jelena handed me my bags which I shifted over my shoulders and then grabbed her own. We walked in the double doors and the fresh scent of lemon and books hit me and I inhaled deeply. This and Haven is my favorite thing about school. Jelena and I parted ways in the huge school and I headed to S wing to receive my finalized schedule. I already knew the classes I'd be taking. "Alaya, you're late already." Mrs. Sims said jokingly. With Jefferson High you get a homeroom teacher your freshman year or whenever you start and thats your homeroom teacher until you graduate or leave. "You know it Mrs. Sims." I say back. "Well I'm gonna go ahead and warn you, the teachers were talking at our meeting about your tardy habits and they concluded to cracking down on it. Their going to start with detention. I doubt it'll last though, senior year is usually busy." "Haven't they said that every year?" I grin at her. "Well I'd be careful anyways, they do have the authority to hold your diploma if they wish." "Alright Mrs. Sims." I say lightly. My first day and I'm already being lectured. I'd rather her than any other teacher though.  "Alright, alright I'll quit nagging you. Here's your schedule." She handed me a white paper that listed my classes. First block Math four, second block Economics, third block Zoology and fourth block literature. I did it this way so I'd only be required two classes next semester and could leave at lunch. Both would be electives since I knocked out all of my academics this semester. I also didn't want any stress when I took my SATs and plenty of time to study. The classes I would be taking next semester was Spanish two and mythology for fun. Then it was work based learning, meaning I could leave early but I had to log my work hours and such. Every class I missed I'd have to work seven hours a week. So with two classes I'd have to work at least fourteen hours a week, which wouldn't be a problem beings I usually get overtime any way. Overtime is when you get over the forty hours you're supposed to have. I'm a valuable worker, and good at what I do. My phone vibrated in my jeans pocket and I checked it knowing Mrs. Sims wouldn't mind. It was Haven. She sent me a picture of her schedule and demanded I do the same. I seen we had first, second and fourth block together so I ignored it thinking I'd surprise her so I could watch her reaction. Haven is a very ecstatic person on the outside. Little things make her smile and she has a strange sense of humor. She's had a rough life though so on the inside she's actually sad but determined to strive and not be depressing. She's my best friend and I know her secrets in and out as well as she knew mine. I snuck out to make her life at home a little better when nights were particularly hard. I let people assume what they wished about us since our demeanor made us seem mysterious or just stuck up. Really we were just careful about who we let in our lives. The bell rang and I headed to D wing which is where most of the math classes are located including my own this year. I found the room D118 and entered finding my best friend already seated in the back gathering situating her things. I strided to the seat next to her and cleared my throat. "Excuse me miss is this seat taken?" I asked in my posh British accent that I'm sure would offend a British person if they heard. She looked up smiling brightly and I could see her excitement that we were in the same class. "Why, no I don't believe it is!" She replied in a horrible accent of her own. "Well, pretty lady, would you be offended if I sat next to you?" I replied laughing a little. "Of course not! Do sit!" She stated I sat down grinning ear to ear and took out a blue folder that I guess I'd be using for math now. "You never texted me back." she said lightly still smiling. "Well I wanted to surprise you obviously, here." I say handing her my schedule. Her ash blonde hair was now ambréd into a chestnut brown and she had a dark tan from over the summer, despite the fact that she was always working or with me. We went to the beach only three times in total. Her hair was long and her natural highlights showed at the tops. Her eyes are wide, the color of whiskey with thick lashes and full lips. She was skinny but had a good figure and taller than me. Probably 5'6 to my 5'4. Even though shes really pretty, she's self conscious. She don't think so. Even though she's constantly being hit on and cat called, she still don't. Our teacher stands and starts handing out our syllabus' for the class. She was young for a teacher and pretty. Roderick snickered as she went by and stared at her ass with little to no subtlety. I rolled my eyes and texted Haven. 'Roderick is such a pig.' She giggled and gave a quick response. 'Seriously. Last year he asked if I would give him a blow job for 20 bucks.' 'Lol I remember that!!! "I am not a prostitute" I nearly died!!' She laughed aloud and we got a look from the teacher. "If y'all misbehave and can't control yourselves with the seats you've chosen, I will put y'all in alphabetical order." The teacher said sternly. "You will be treated as you act. Act like children, you'll get treated like children. You are seniors. Seventeen to nineteen years of age, please act like it." She stared at Haven with a menacing glare. It was hard to keep a straight face as she sunk low into her seat.