{13.} STRESS, DORY, AND BEAUTIFUL WATER

Start from the beginning

"I don't know...I haven't taken a day off work in forever..." I looked to the ground and began to think deeply. When I looked to Jeremy again, I could see him arch his eyebrow.

"No, you haven't taken off work. Ever." I thought about it some more before responding again.

"Jesse said I should. Should I?" he shrugged.

"Dory, just go have fun for today. I'm sure I'll be able to handle the store."

"But what if it gets really busy?"

"You realize I've worked here longer than you have, right?"

"But what if you need my help?"

"Dory I'll be fine. Go have fun--"

"But that's not what I do! I would be compromising my personal beliefs!" I shook my head and looked to the ground again. Jeremy chuckled.

"Really? Compromising your personal beliefs? It's just one day."

"But still!"

"Dory, I'm about ready to make you go home."

"No no! Please!"

"Hello?" I could hear Jesse chuckle from the other end of the phone. I hoped he couldn't hear what I had previously said as I then put the phone back to my ear.

"H-hi. I'm still here."

"So...What do you say?" I looked to Jeremy again. I smiled a little as he mouthed the words 'get out.'

"...Yes. Yes that sounds lovely."

"O-oh! G-great! That's great, where do you want to meet? And when?"

"Now please. That would be great."

"Okay I can do that. And where?"

"Oh at the Lush store, please." I could hear him chuckle a little.

"Okay. Sounds great. I'll see you then."

"I'll see you then...Goodbye Jesse." he laughed again.

"Goodbye Dory." as I hung up the phone, I looked to see Jeremy staring at me. "What? Is there chocolate on my face?"

"...I've never seen you act so flirtatious before."

"I wasn't flirting!" he raised his eyebrows in disbelief. "I was just...being particularly nice!" he folded his arms.

"Hey Dory?"

"Yeah?" as a new customer came up to the front desk to check out, I began to help. He stood and walked towards me.

"Dory."

"What?" I stopped and looked at him. He put his hand on my shoulder and gave me the most genuine smile I had seen from him in a long time. He tilted his head.

"Get out."

... an hour later

\\ Jesse chuckled again as we walked down the street. Sometimes I didn't quite understand why he laughed at almost everything I said, but I liked to hear him laugh so I didn't mind. His laugh always sounded so happy and full of light, if anything I wanted him to laugh more often. Yet I felt myself blush a little as Jesse turned towards me.