{12.} JEREMY'S INTOXICATED MISTAKE

Start from the beginning

"Hey, do you remember when you did your job? Because I do." I had to cover my mouth to stop myself from laughing once I saw Jeremy. He was wearing sunglasses and a oversized sweater. Clearly he was successful in getting drunk.

"Why are you wearing sunglasses inside? Jeremy, that's silly..." Dory walked over and tried to take them off for him yet he held onto them tightly.

"No...everything's so bright and loud...Ugh."

"You're still hungover?" I tilted my head. Jeremy nodded slowly and put a finger to my lips. He slowly whispered.

"Stop yelling..." I raised a eyebrow. I looked to Dory for a second before looking at him again.

"Jeremy, are you high?"

"It helps with hangovers." my eyes widened. I looked to Dory again.

"Did you..." she shook her head.

"No...I didn't." she walked closer towards us and frowned. "The cure he gave me was orange juice and morphine...You're smoking weed again?" Dory tilted Jeremy's face towards her and looked at him. I tilted my head a little more. I looked around. The store wasn't too busy today and there wasn't too many people, just one or two regulars who knew what they wanted and didn't need any help. I could see why he decided to not call in sick. Yet I felt it was my responsibility to help him and take him home. After all, he was now my friend.

"Where's your place?" Jeremy shook his head.

"I'm not going home..." he mumbled, his eyes closed. He then threw up a fist and smiled a little. "You know the motto, spitters are quitters!" I rolled my eyes and looked to Dory. She seemed to be shocked, her lips parted. I bit my lip and began to whisper.

"We have to take him home. There's no way he can work while like this, he could get himself fired or get someone hurt." Dory nodded.

"His apartment is just one floor above mine. We can take him there but who's gonna watch the store?" I bit my lip again and thought for a few moments. Then, my thought was interrupted.

"I can take the shift." Nicola smiled and walked up to us. I watched as Dory raised a eyebrow.

"I thought I was supposed to be taking your shift today..." Nicola sighed and walked towards us slowly.

"Yes but, you take my shift everyday. I will volunteer as tribute and help you get Jeremy home." she gave a small and frail smile. I rolled my eyes. It seemed Nicola only wanted to help if it meant she could be the hero and if she could get some brownie points. Yet I was the only one who felt this way as Dory hugged Nicola tightly. After a few moments she pulled away and nodded.

"I will not let you down." she turned to Jeremy and grabbed his hand. "Jeremy, Jesse, let's go." I nodded and wrapped Jeremy's other arm around my shoulders. Dory and I proceeded to hold him up and drag him out of the store.

... fifty minutes later

|| "Okay...c'mon buddy you're almost there..." Dory kept pulling on Jeremy as he stumbled. I held him just as close. We were now at his apartment door as Dory went through her keys and searched for the key to his apartment. I narrowed my eyes and looked at the door for a few seconds. Something seemed...off.

"Hey Dory?"

"Yes Jesse?" I slowly extended my hand out towards the door. The door opened by itself suggesting that it was already opened.

"Dory..." I whispered.

"What?" I quickly covered her mouth as she spoke. She looked at me as if I was crazy and pushed my hand away. "What? What is it--" I covered her mouth again. I was concerned about the idea of there being an intruder. Yet Dory was clueless as she this time licked in between my ring finger and my middle finger until I stretched my fingers out. She began to speak between my fingers.

"Please tell me why you're covering my mouth...it is very uncomfortable..."

"Shush Dory please!" I turned to her and used both hands to cover her mouth. "I'm worried--" I gasped as she kissed my hand. I blushed and stared at her like a deer in headlights. She pulled my hand away.

"What? You smiled a lot when I kissed your cheek so I thought kissing your hand might not make you worry so much--"

"What are we talking about?" Jeremy spoke loudly.

"Shush!" I whispered in a yell at the both of them. I sighed and set Jeremy down by the wall. "Jeremy, Dory, stay here. I'm gonna go scope out the place. I think there's a intruder."

"I'm coming with you." Dory stepped forward. I shook my head.

"No you're not, Dory please just stay here..." I grabbed onto her hands and looked into her eyes. She tilted her head.

"Do you need me to kiss your hand again?" I thought to myself and bit my lip.

"...I need you to stay here. Okay?"

"Oh, okay. I'll stay here. Whatever you say Jesse." I smiled as she nodded. I slowly let go of her hand and opened the door, walking into the apartment. I sighed a little in relief as I looked around. The place seemed spotless. Clearly Jeremy stress cleans, if not he at least keeps his place very clean...I gasped as I could feel someone touch my shoulders.

"What are we looking at?" I turned to see Dory. My eyes widened.

"Dory what are you doing?! I told you to stay over there!" I whispered.

"I got curious!" I rolled my eyes.

"Fine. But please, stay close to me okay?" she nodded.

"Okay. Whatever you say Jesse."

"And really listen to me this time okay? This could be dangerous."

"Okay Jesse. Don't worry Jesse." I looked forward and began to slowly grin as I could feel her hands wrap around my arm. I took a few steps forward, making sure to keep Dory behind me. I looked around a little and gained bravery as her grip on me tightened.

"Hello?" I called out, my voice now at normal volume. There was no answer, no signs of anybody else but us. I then slowly looked over at her. I looked at her in a way I had never looked at anybody before...I looked at her helplessly. Like...I knew that right then and there, I wanted to kiss her and hug her. But I knew I couldn't. I didn't have the bravery and it didn't feel appropriate. But I also felt really terrified for her.

What if there really was an intruder in the apartment? What if she went in here alone, without Jeremy or me to save her or help her...What would happen to her? Would she get herself killed? I wasn't sure. I felt as if she sometimes wasn't the best on picking up on clues but she had to get to New York somehow, and I doubt it was just Jeremy getting her this far. She could take care of herself...she didn't need me necessarily...

But I wanted her to need me. I wanted her to need my help so bad...I wanted to shield her from the world. I wanted to protect her from all the bad things that could happen and I wanted her to never worry about things like I do. She looked at me and smiled.

"What are we looking at?" I chuckled a little and brushed some hair behind her ear.

"Nothing...we are looking at nothing. Everything's fine, Dory." she nodded.

"Whatever you say Jesse." I smiled a little more. Then, I grinned.

"What are you guys fussing about?" Jeremy called out to us from the hallway. "I left the door open, so what?"