Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

August and him were like brothers and known each other almost all of their lives and after Julianna went up to New York when D wasn't with August he was with me. We had a lot in common and when we were together we acted like two big kids. A picture of him holding Kaliyah caught my attention and if I wasn't crying at the other picture I started balling at that one.

Kaliyah loved D and he loved her. He claimed he wasn't ready for kids but he was so good with Kaliyah and she loved him and I was sad because she probably really didn't even remember him. He touched everyone who met him and now all we had were memories and pictures and it wasn't fair.

I let him hug, wipe my tears and console me and I could tell that he was trying his hardest to hold be strong for me. I knew he felt guilty about how D died and if he could go in time and change places with him I'm sure he probably would.

I cried until I realized that this wasn't doing anything to prove to him that I could be useful to him and talk him into letting me stay.

"I'm fine," I wiped my eyes and pulled away from him, "Sorry."

"Why you apologizing for?"

"Cause I'm being a crybaby."

"Yeah but I'm used to you being a crybaby," he leaned in and wiped the remaining tears from my face and kissed my cheek, "No matter how mean everybody thinks you are I know the real you."

"And your trying to say that the real me is a crybaby?"

"That's exactly what I'm sayin," he nodded his head and looked at me like he was dead serious.

I punched him in his arm, "I'm not a crybaby and you know it."

"You a crybaby for sure and your mean as hell to."

"I'm not a crybaby," I made sure my face was free of tears as I said that, "And I'm not mean."

He let out the ugliest chuckle after I said that and I tried not to but it was hard not to crack a smile.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, "If I'm mean it's because you made me this way."

"Nah you were mean before I met you, that's why you ain't never had a boyfriend before you met me."

"Nah," I mocked him, "I never had a boyfriend because I had priorities and the last thing I was worried about was a boy."

"Until you met me," he flashed me a smile.

"Until I met you," I agreed.

"You just needed a real nigga who, someone to put you in your place and keep you in check."

"Ha," I laughed, "Okay."

After a few laughs we were both in a lighter mood. He grabbed the book from me and flipped through a few pages until he landed on a picture of us from the first few months were started dating. He looked at one picture of me and shook his head.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Must be something if you shaking your head like that. Say what you have to say."

"Well if I say what I gotta say you not gon get mad at me?"

I shrugged because I didn't think I would get mad at what he had to say.

"You had no style back then, just saying."

I scoffed and hit him but I couldn't' be mad because I didn't. Half the time I threw on whatever I felt like and back then I hated wearing dresses, skirts, sandals and heels. But as I got older I guess my sense of style changed and I went from wierdo tomboy to grown women