The Destination Is Not My End

I'm running for my life, bullets whizzing past me, impacting on the walls I'm about to run into. I shouldn't be here, how I'm mixed up in this petty crime I'll never know, I just know they always blame the cyborg for these things, even if it is 2578. All I want to do is get to my home, away from this torment of adrenaline. That's when it happens; the final sound of a gun firing, the final scratch of the bullet hitting tissue. My body catapults towards the ground, my eyes without time to close; I remember the blurriness, that's all... before I was being flung forwards, light and colour cascading my vision. Sounds slowly starting to swirl around me in mumbled conversations, then everything started slowing till I felt like I wasn't being flung, till I was cruising through the air. The light started fading down to a low level brightness, colour changing into pictures, and sounds becoming defined. They were memories, they were my memories, from all over my timeline. All the way back to when I was a little boy, to my last memory. It was so dark that moment, I hadn't realised in my adrenaline rush. Then everything fades off to black. Nothing can be seen no matter which way I look, I'm just floating in a nothingness; being male, my name Daniel nexus, my cyborg body, the things I've learnt, it all means nothing. My precious existence becomes nothing.

A flicker of light passes my eyes, out of this whole nothingness, a light shines through. I move my arm, there it is, on the edge of my fingers, like little fairies dancing.

"Eeiikkk" I shriek.

"My arm it's there, I can see it".

My hands, my arms, my torso, my legs, my everything is there; I exist in this nothingness. But the question is, what's the meaning behind these lights? I move my right hand, and colours surrounds me, I snap my fingers, and it's like fireworks have gone off. I clap, the lights become like coloured water rippling around me. I hear little twittering sounds surround me... Then everything goes quite again, nothing heard, nothing seen. Everything becomes boring after a while. Without knowledge on what the strange energy emitting from my hands does.

"Maybe it affects the outside world."

I begin to remember the city, Tokyo, the lights, the music, the rush of the people. I move my hands up again, but the lights are no longer there. I hear a mumbling rising up from behind me. I slowly turn around there's blinding light, then it's just there, every little thing, everything I recalled; those people, those lights, those sounds, all jumbled together. The lights return to my hands. I don't know what's happening, it was the end, nothing more to go on with; then all this?... this reality just pops out of nowhere, like it all came out of my head. I start thinking of other things, different geographical locations. The Sahara, poof, shows up to my left. The tropics, conjoined to the city on my right. The beach and ocean, I'm standing one foot underneath saltwater. Everything, I can recreate a perfect world. How it's truly meant to be, no discrimination, no prejudice, equality at last. No one will be an outcast. The perfect utopia.

One mind m̪̫̪͐̓̓ͩo̪̟̜̞̺ͦ̏ͭͬ̾̋̚n̘̪̙̭͎ͪͅt̟͎̱͕̉̒h͈̼͊̒͛͂̔̆̚ l͇͓͓̯̙̙̈́̒̏ä̤͇̱͉̭́ṱ̝̓̓ͦ̽ͫer

Perfection is everywhere; the dream, the colour of the world louder than the dark. Utopia. That's when it happens, the darkness envelopes me yet again. The lights are gone, but they come rushing from behind me, I feel like I'm being flung backwards. Buzzing surrounds me, beeps following. Then "subconscious 378 uploaded, body functions of 94578, all errors have been corrected.... Process complete ... waking up system drives." My breathing kicks in, my eyes open, just to be flooded with white walls and bright lights. People in white coats are running all around me, wires ripped out of me, hatches closed up.

"Where am I" My voice sounds weird

The one beside me responds "you're in human resources".

"Why" I question.

"Your insurance covers body replacement, and also you're required at a court hearing, on the witness stand".

"But I thought I died".

"You're one of the lucky few, your servers backed up your subconscious, and kept you in a state of stasis till you were uploaded. Lucky you, you can go back to reality". Their voice to chipper for my liking.

He started lifting me up by my arm, my body showing signs of aching, no longer feeling natural. It's obvious they've put me in a metal case, I'm no longer a cyborg, I can no longer die, they'll just keep upgrading me till the end of time. Discrimination against me is forever assured now.

By Bloodwolf Tree