Chapter 5.25 (St. Mungo's hospital)

Start from the beginning

DILYS DERWENT
St Mungo's Healer 1722-1741
Headmistress of Hogwarts school
of Witchcraft and Wizardry
1741-1768

Dilys was eyeing the Weasley party as though counting them, when Aurora caught her eyes she gave a tiny wink, walked sideways out of her portrait and vanished.

Meanwhile, at the front of the queue, a young wizard was performing an odd on-the-spot jig and trying, in between yelps of pain, to explain his predicament to the witch behind the desk.

"It's these - ouch - shoes my brother gave me - ow - they're eating my - OUCH - feet - look at them, there must be some kind of - AARGH - jinx on them and I can't - AAAAAAARGH - get them off." He hopped from one foot to the other as though dancing on hot coals.

"The shoes don't prevent you reading, do they?" Said the blonde witch, irritably pointing at a large sign to the left of her desk. "You want Spell Damage, fourth floor. Just like it says on the floor guide. Next!"

As the wizard hobbled and pranced sideways out of the way, the Weasley party moved forward a few steps and Aurora read the floor guide:

ARTEFACT ACCIDENTS

ground floor

Cauldron explosion, wand backfiring, broom crashes, etc.

CREATURE-INDUCED INJURIES

first floor

Bites, stings, burns, embedded spines, etc.

MAGICAL BUGS

second floor

Contagious maladies, E. G. Dragon Pox, Vanishing Sickness, Scrofungulus, etc.

POTION AND PLANT POISONING

third floor

Rashes, Regurgitation, uncontrollable giggling, etc.

SPELL DAMAGE

fourth floor

Unliftable Jinxes, hexes, incorrectly applied charms, etc.

VISITORS' TEAROOM/HOSPITAL SHOP

fifth floor

IF YOU ARE UNSURE WHERE TO GO, INCAPABLE OF NORMAL SPEECH OR UNABLE TO REMEMBER WHY YOU ARE HERE, OUR WELCOMEWITCH WILL BE PLEASED TO HELP.

After a man who had to hold on to his daughter like a balloon, it was their turn.

Mrs. Weasley moved forward to the desk. "Hello," she said, "my husband, Arthur Weasley, was supposed to be moved to a different ward this morning, could you tell us-?"

"Arthur Weasley?" Said the witch, running her finger down a log list in front of her. "Yes, first floor, second door on the right, Dai Llewellyn Ward."

"Thank you," said Mrs. Weasley. "Come on, you lot."

They followed her through the double doors and along the narrow corridor beyond, which was lined with more portraits of famous Healerw and lit by crystal bubbles full of candles that floated up on the ceiling, looking like giant soapsuds.