2

The morning was a typical Tuesday.

My eyes were bagged from the late night and my entire apartment was littered with my clothes that I had started taking off as soon as I hit the door.

I looked down at myself, surprised that I still had on my white lace underwear and hadn't slept naked like most nights.

I noticed the old beat up alarm clock was still buzzing annoyingly so I did the typical human thing, instead of finding the off switch, I threw it across the room and let the wall shut it up for me.

Yea.... That explains why its beat up.

I got up, checked my phone and groggily realized that I had an hour an a half to get to work.

I did my morning ritual in the bathroom, got out, wrapped myself in a towel and proceeded to my small closet.

My apartment was pretty standard. It had a living room and a kitchen, two bedrooms, a bathroom, and an extra room that I used as a library.

But I was proud of it.
My dad had nothing to do with buying it.

I grabbed my black lacy underwear and slipped it on, lathering my skin with my blueberry lotion and looking at my outfits.

After some thought, I grabbed my baby blue cotton dress that fit my curves and had a black belt that accented my thin waist. I paired it with black heals and a matching black diamond earring set.

I sat in front of my mirror and applied the usual make up. I hid my flaws (e.g. bags under my eyes) and added a bit of mascara and some lip gloss.

I added the earnings and left the necklace, deciding that it was irrelevant as it overlapped the neckline of the dress.
I put on my silver watch and the bracelet that came with the earrings.

After a final look in the mirror and brushing my hair that fell around me with its usual waves, I grabbed the clothes around my room, threw them in a laundry basket and picked up my bag (the black armani that daddy dearest bought me as a gift). I checked to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be and left my apartment to do my morning Starbucks run.
***********

The office was buzzing with excitement as I stepped unto the lobby. Everyone at Lanc Corp was talking about the new boss.

To put it simply:
Lanc Corp was a multibillion dollar company of many trades. We specialized in making and shipping high value décor pieces (mainly) and we dabbled in other ventures such as construction. We were also an advertising agency and a travel agency.
Very confusing but oddly profiting business.

I said good morning to the people who said good morning to me and flipped off the jealous glares from others.

Yes, my father is rich, get over it.

I made my way to my desk and looked over the typed paper work from the finance manager.
Seeing no fault in it, I filed it under finance and stored the copy that was on my computer to the main server.

I was in the office, twiddling my thumbs, for about a quarter of an hour before a black haired, chocolate eyed, bulky, muscled, well groomed, grim faced hunk of goodness walked buy me and into the office.

Behind him was a man of similar build, with blonde hair and cold blue eyes, dressed in an impeccable suit, a gold Rolex, and very shine shoes that reflected the available light.

"Mr Lanchester wants you in his office," the blonde one did the talking.

I grabbed the files that contained the important information related to the deals that needed dealing with and hurried into the office, led by the blonde one.

"Ms Reignford, I suppose you have everything my father informed you of ready....," his tone was speculative as he looked me up and down.

I almost glared at him.
Can't a girl be cute and smart?

"Yes sir. All the files are on your computer in a file marked 'Lanc Corp 2015-2016' and are arranged by order of each branch of the business, which is then broken down into Human Resource, Finance, Marketing, Research and Development and Production. And you have a meeting with the heads of staff at 11:30 am," I almost rolled my eyes at his surprised look.

"And are the files on my computer the only copy?," he questioned me further, obviously pushing my buttons.

"No, there is a copy of it on the main server, a copy on my computer and a hard copy in the filing room. Also, these are the names, numbers and general back ground information on the companies who are currently in and hoping to be in negotiations with Lanc Corp," I handed him the files, "they are arranged in order from the organization with most to offer to the one with the least to offer. For the ones who we are currently in negotiations with, there are dates and times for scheduled meetings."

"Very impressive Ms Reignford," he nodded approvingly at me, I watched as the blonde one smirked.

"With all due respect Mr Lanchester, never judge a book by its cover. May I be excused, if there is nothing else...?" I glared at him, brushing imaginary dust from my skirt.

"Nothing else at all Kimber," I gasped as I recognized his voice finally...

London Lanchester whom I haven't seen since I was eighteen years old. My old playmate. My old bestfriend. My new boss.

I had forgotten all about him and now I was remembering all the time we spent getting into trouble together.......

I took a deep breath. Work, Kimber, work.

"Yes Sir, buzz when you need me," I left hurriedly, not looking back and only settling once my butt was in my office chair around my familiar desk.

********

Lunch time.

Heaven.

Only time during the day that I'm free from this lousy office.

"Ms Reignford!"

And the time of day he chooses to call me after being in the office for four hours?!

So naturally, since I was livid, I busted unto his office, fury evident on my face and I stood in front of his desk, glaring at him and pressing my lips together in an attempt to stop myself from saying something rude before I punched him in the face.

"I would like you to run an errant with me, I am in need of a little help decorating for a formal party that is to be at my house. My father just called to tell me or in his words 'remind me'......" He looked up, noticing how red my face was as anger coursed through my veins.

I took a deep, deep breath, feeling the blond guy look at me, an amused smirk on his lips.

I ran a hand through my honey colored hair and closed my eyes.

Breathe kimber.......
In, out, in, out......

"OK. When is the shindig and what is the theme?"
I kept my eyes closed, dreading the answer.

"The theme is Glamorous Success......" He paused, I heard his silent laughter, "and the party is tonight."