Chapter 2: Just a Glimpse of Reality

"Leighanna, stop!" I leaned against the door as I heard the teacher yell once again at her. I smiled. Despite the fact that she looked exactly like Heather, Leigh had always acted like me. "Leighanna, if I have to tell you again, I am going to pull your card." 

"So?" Leighanna replied, sticking her tongue out at the teacher.

"Leighanna Grace!" I snapped, pushing away from the door, and coming into the room. Her eyes widened as she saw me. "That is no way to talk to an adult, young lady! I want you to apologize to her right now!" Leighanna swallowed, as Haley came to stand beside her. "Don't even think about it, Haley. You need to stay out of this." She took a step back, and Leighanna blinked. "Now." 

"Sorry." Her little voice was pitiful now, and had lost all the hate that she had previously. 

"That's okay." The teacher sighed, with relief. "Thank you for interfering, Jade." I shrugged.

"They are my kids." I looked at them. "Are you guys ready? Daddy and I are planning on getting pizza for dinner." 

"Pizza?" Haley asked, crinkling her nose.

"Yes, Pizza... Don't worry, we are going to get you a salad." I leaned down and zipped up her coat. "You are my picky eater.. You are just like mommy, you know?" She smiled, and leaned forward, snuggling into my arms. I hugged her. It was times like this that I wished Heather were here. She would love to be the one cuddling up to her daughter. She would love to see how close my relationship with these children were. 

"They were generally good today, and both took a nap." The teacher reported. 

"Thank you." I said, standing up. "We'll see you tomoorw." She shook her head, looking at my daughters with a smile. "Is there anything else?" 

"I would keep a close eye on Leigh." She whispered. "She is showing some signs that she has powers." I raised my eyebrows. "She moved a block. Without touching it." 

"You don't say." I replied, looking down at my little girl, who was ginning. "Leigh, did you do what your teacher says you did?" She shook her head, the smile disappearing from her face.

"I didn't mean to, mama. It just happened. I promise." Her eyes were wide and she was searching my face.

"It's okay, Lili." Haley said softly. "Mama is proud of you." I turned my eyes to Haley.

"How do you know?" She cocked her head to the side.

"I think we both know the answer to that." She smiled lightly. I looked back at the teacher who was shaking her head. 

"You have some remarkable charges, Jade..." 

"I am beginning to see that." 

"You can't sleep?" I opened my eyes and looked at my husband. "I mean, you only sigh and roll over about every ten minutes." 

"I'm worried about the girls. They got their powers so early." 

"They are Heather's kids. Does it really surprise you?" I rolled my eyes and sat up. "I mean, we knew the girls were going to be extraordinary. I just didn't really expect it this soon." He sat up and threw an arm around me. "We can get them into some training."

"It's too soon!" I cried out, just to be quieted.

"I know, but I meant with us. We can work with them some." I blinked. I knew he was right. It's what Heather would do.

"I wish I could call Liam... He deserves to know what the girls are doing. He deserves to know that they are advancing quicker. I know that if I could just get him to think about them... I know he would come back in a heartbeat..."