Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

"You sure?"

"How many times are you going to ask me that? I wasn't the one with a gun pressed to the back of my head."

"You right your not but you are the one that pulled the trigger."

I flinched at his comment hoping that we could just forget about last night and move on already.

"Look," he slid closer to me on the couch, "I'm just trying to make sure your okay because doing what you did ain't easy."

I shook my head and looked him in his eyes, "But it was easy, he's dead your alive and he deserved what he got."

"It's easy to pull a fucking trigger yeah but now you got to deal with the aftermath of what went down. That shit can take a toll on you mentally, trust me."

"Your acting like a had a choice. I only had two options, watch him kill you or kill him. He would of also killed that women behind the counter without a doubt."

"I know you didn't have a choice and I know you did what you had to do and I owe you."

I waved his comment off, "You don't owe me anything except an explanation. Who was he?"

He looked like he didn't want to talk about it but he didn't have a choice, "Some nigga that I had beef with while I was locked up. He and his crew tried to jump me but I ended up getting wind of it before it went down and long story short one of the people in his crew ended up getting killed."

"And so he wanted revenge?"

"Guess so, but I swore he had two more years."

"Maybe he got an early release, like you."

He rubbed his chin and looked like he was thinking about that possibility, "Maybe."

While he looked to be in thought so was I, I could only hope that this wasn't going to be never ending cycle. Who's to say that after this situation with Mace is handled that someone else would pop up and want him dead. Another Mace, another Mike, another Jayceon, another guy like the one from last night."

"What is this about a vacation?"

He looked at me and I knew from his facial expression that I knew that was he was about to tell me wasn't going to be something I wanted to hear.

"I'm sending ya'll away."

"Who's ya'll?"

"You, Kaliyah, and my mom until further notice."

"What do you mean further notice? I can't just up and leave, I run a business, I have people you depend on me."

"I know that and that's why you need to talk to Braeden and whoever else you need to talk to. Sit down and tell them that your leaving town for a while."

"And what am I supposed to tell them, you know there going to ask questions."

"Tell them that your going to Cali or some shit like that," he shrugged.

"For how long?"

"I don't know," he shrugged again and he looked annoyed by all of my questions.

"You need to know, how am I supposed to tell them something when I don't even have all of the details? Where are we going really?"

"Jamaica."

I would have been happy to hear that but I wasn't, not when I knew that he wasn't coming along and he was going to be here all alone.

"Why do I have to go though," I asked him, "I can stay and help."

"No. It ain't safe out here for ya'll. I need to be focused but I can't do that if I'm worried about ya'll."

"And you think sending me away is going to make me worry less about you?"

"You don't got to worry about me."

"And you don't have to worry about me. I think last night I proved to you that I can handle myself and-"

"I don't need you handling shit I just need you to go especially if you really are pregnant then that's all the more reason for you to leave. I'll handle what I gotta do here and once everything is safe then I'll send for ya'll but until then your leaving end of conversation."

I raised my eyebrow at him, "End of conversation?"

"That's what I said."

I mugged the hell out of him and he didn't look moved by my face at all just got up from the couch and walked to the back without saying another word.