The Garden of Thranduil

Karina nervously glanced aside, she dearly hoped the King did not want to talk with her because of her past. What if he remembered? Would he feel obligated to not ler her out of his sight ever again? She did not want that, she did not want to be forced to stay here forever. He wouldn't do that, or would he? She couldn't imagine an other life than traveling through Middle Earth. She was not an elleth who enjoyed being stuck in the same place for years, she was meant to travel around. That was her life and she wouldn't allow anyone to change that.

They wandered through the garden in silence. Thranduil walked around with the grace only he would have, while Karina felt very misplaced. She was not sure how to act; was she only allowed to speak when she spoken to? She really wanted to know why he had bring her here, but since he did not make a sound, she didn't dare to either. She uttered a small sigh and Thranduil raised an eyebrow while looking at her.

"Is there something wrong?"

Karina quickly shook her head. "No, nothing." She paused for a moment but then added, "My King." See, she was not made for formalities. It was just not her usual self. She was used to being alone and then no formalities were needed. The only ones she ever talked to was herself, animals and trees, but they didn't recuire politeness as well.

"I thought you came here to behold the Great Elven Halls?" Thranduil continued, not realising her mistake or he just didn't seem to be bothered about it.

Karina hesitated, she did not come to see the Halls. The last time she was here - and that was a long, long time ago - she had been impressed by the old forest. She was here for the trees, mostly. But she didn't want to offend Thranduil nor the cave system that could be older than Oropher himself. Although, she wasn't sure if you actually can offend a cave system, but better be safe.

She chose her next words carefully. "That is partly true, My King. I am also impressed by the forest and her ancient trees. They are wise."

Thranduil nodded in agreement, he could understand that as he thought about it the same way. He decided now was the right moment to ask her about her past, he had to know for sure. He could be mistaken, but he could have sworn he had seen her before. A long time ago. "So, Karina... Have you been here before? In this forest, I mean." He slightly cringed at those words, real smooth, Thranduil...

Karina took a deep breath, she knew this question would've come eventually. What should she answer? If she answered by the truth, he would remember, for sure. But she couldn't lie either. From out of one lie, follows another and before you know it; you are buried underneath the many lies you've created to keep that one lie standing.

Luckily, she didn't have to answer anything since she was saved by the bell. Well, not an actual bell; Phoenix and Melwin to be exact.

~*~*~*~*~

Amarië wandered through the garden, occasionally stopping to admire the beautiful flowers. She loved flowers, she felt connected with them like most Elves felt connected with trees. But Amarië never really had cared for trees as she did for the flowers... They too have life in them, you know. They may not live as long as trees do, but flowers are equally important to all the life on Arda.

She crouched down in front of the Lissuin to observe it more closely. She had read about this flower but she had never seen it before. Cerin Amroth - a place in Lothlórien that Amarië used to visit when she was feeling a bit down - didn't possess the Lissuin, but it did have the Elanor and the Niphredil growing together, creating a marvelous sight on the hill where Amroth's house used to be.  Amarië opened her sketchbook and sat herself cross-legged down in front of the soft pink coloured flower. She was truly beautiful and the fact that her fragrance brings heart's ease, made her even more beautiful. Amarië didn't care her dress was getting filthy this way and she started drawing and for a while she just sat there in silence; observing and drawing the flower from different angles.

She paused when she heard some voices and footsteps, Amarië turned her head towards the sound and hesitated when she noticed it were the King and Karina. She wondered if she should greet Thranduil, but before she could decide, they had already past the aisle without noticing her. Amarië shrugged and continued her rough draft, she would expand and colour it when she was back in her room. When she would be sitting behind a decent table, in stead of sitting on the ground.

Amarië screamed when she suddenly felt a hand on her shoulder, and quickly she turned her head around to see who it was.

"You scream as a girl," Phoenix smirked.

Amarië frowned and got back on her feet. "But... I am a girl?" she said, after making a small reverence. She did not understand why he had said that. She then noticed a Guard standing next to him, Amarië had seen her before but she couldn't quite remember her name.

"Have you seen King Thranduil?" Melwin asked the elleth from Lórien and Amarië nodded. She pointed in the direction of the crossing of the aisles.

"I have, he went left. Well, straight ahead for him but left to us, seeing as we're standing here."

Phoenix slightly cocked an eyebrow, but didn't say anything about her rambling. "Thank you." They both left in the direction Amarië had pointed them and she stared at them. Curiosity was getting the upper hand of her, and slowly she followed them. Even though she knew it was probably none of her business why the Prince and a Guard were looking for the King.

She halted in her pace when she heard the voice of Phoenix echoing through the air. Why was his voice so loud?

"Father! We have been looking for you through the entire palace. Abendago is ready to apologise, or something."

Amarië couldn't hear Thranduil's answer, but more she didn't need to know. She turned back around and set course back to the Halls. She wondered if the King would allow the Dwarf to continue his way. He had been very impolite, after all.

~*~*~*~*~