Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

“They are not here. They are at the palace with the king.”

“Could you lend us some horses please so we can get there? We will give them back.”

“Who is ‘we’?”

“Myself and my friend.”

“Who is your friend?”

“My friend is a lady who is not used to be treated with such disrespect. We arranged a long time ago that she would me the Hutchinson family. It seems they have forgotten. If you could lend us too horses we could go and meet the Hutchinson’s.”

“I will lend a horse to you. I want it back within twenty four hours.”

“Of course.” Eddy said. They waited as a horse was brought round to them. Luckily it was dark enough that the guards couldn’t see their clothes or their plan wouldn’t have worked.

Eddy mounted the horse and pulled Lizzy up in front of him. “Thank you!” Eddy called and they cantered off.

“Stupid people.” The guard muttered.

~*~

Thomas shielded his hands from the sun that was now rising. He could now see two figures riding on top of a horse. He walked forwards until he could see clearly. Lizzy? Eddy? What were they doing here?

“Eddy? Is that you? Is Lizzy with you?”

“Thomas?” Eddy called from, stopping the horse and jumping down.

“What are you doing here?” Thomas asked.

“My parents are at the palace.” Eddy said.

“They are not anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, they were at the palace about an hour ago but they have gone back to the castle. Who told you they were at the palace?”

“One of the guards at the castle.”

“I will come with you back there and we shall go see your parents.” Thomas said and began to walk back the way Lizzy and Eddy had come. Eddy mounted the horse again and followed Thomas. “It is a good job I found you before you got to the palace.”

“It is.” Eddy agreed.

“Why are we going back?” Lizzy asked. Eddy had forgotten that she didn’t know.

“My parents were not at the palace. Well, they were but they are not now. They left about an hour ago.”

“So they are back at the castle? Why did the guard not tell us?”

“I do not know. Maybe he thought it would be a joke to turn up at the palace trying to find someone who was not there and we would probably be in trouble as well as being humiliated.” Eddy replied.

“Maybe he was told to say that.” Thomas suggested.

“Did you find Anne?” Lizzy asked. A smile formed on Thomas’ face when he heard Anne’s name.

“Yes, I did.”

“And what happened?” Lizzy asked.

“I asked her to marry me and I am now a proud husband and father-to-be.” Thomas grinned.

“Congratulations!” Lizzy exclaimed. “I knew she liked you!”

“Thank you, miss. Where is Louis, if you do not mind me asking?”

“We found a girl called Ivy who took care of us for a while and we think Louis took a shining to her so she said he should stay and she would look after him while we finished our journey.” Eddy replied. It was as close to the truth as Eddy dared say.

“So he now knows the meaning of love?”

“Possibly but he will not admit it.” Eddy said.

~*~

They reached the castle quicker than before, probably because they were in a hurry to get back and Thomas was a fast walker and he could run for longer than they could. Thomas opened the gates and they went through. Lizzy and Eddy dismounted and Thomas led them inside the castle. None of the guards even glanced at them apart from one. He glared at them and Eddy guessed that that was the guard that they had spoken to.

Thomas let them into the dining room where they found Charles and Catherine sat side by side on chairs. It looked as though they had been expecting them. Catherine gasped. “Edward! My dear Eddy, where have you been? We have missed you so much!” she said, reaching for him. Eddy went to her and hugged her.

Lizzy stood watching, eyes narrowed. “We came to give you something for something else in return.”

“Of course, what is it you wish to give to us?” Charles said. His smile did not meet his eyes.

“Money, Father. Ninety seven pounds to be exact. Lizzy raised the money herself with help from Louis and me.”

“What is it you wish for in return?”

“For you to allow Louis, Lizzy and myself to come back and live here.

“Of course you may,” Charles said. “Louis and you are family and always welcome back here. I must speak to Catherine about Lizzy though.”

“We will give you the money now if you wish.” Eddy said.

“Please.” Charles said. Catherine reached out a hand for the money bag that Eddy held in his fist. He was about to place it on his mother’s palm when Lizzy darted forwards and grabbed it from him.

“Girl, what are you doing?” Catherine demanded. The friendly look in her eyes had vanished and had become murderous.

“There is no need to keep up the pretence.” Lizzy growled. “You hate your children.” Matilda silently swept into the room and stood in the corner, surrounded by shadows, no one saw her.

“We do not-”

“The only one you care about is Eddy because he is your oldest son and heir to the throne.” Lizzy cut them off and carried on her rant. “You married Matilda off to Francis as soon as you could to get rid of her. You then broke the news to Eddy that he is to marry someone her does not love!”

“It is not-” Catherine tried to cut in but Lizzy was not having it.

“Then, when everyone has run away from you because they do not like the things you want to happen you feign poverty! You sit back and enjoy the peace while your children work their behinds off for you! We raised enough money to help at least three small villages and instead we give it to you because we thought you needed it!” Lizzy took two steps towards the adults. “You greedy, selfish, snobbish pigs!” she screamed and ran from the room.

Matilda revealed herself and walked forwards. Eddy began to run after Lizzy but Matilda stopped him and dragged him back to their parents. She stopped a short distance away and left Eddy there. Taking the last few steps to where Charles and Catherine were sat, she leant over them and spat in their faces.

“You killed Lizzy’s parents did you not? And the King?”