~*~

Once they were settled the girl disappeared and returned with Lizzy who smiled brightly at them as she took a place opposite the boys. The girl sat next to her.

“Who are you?” Louis asked. The girl, whoever she was, had led them to a small clearing that had obviously been made by hands and was not natural. There were fallen trees nearby. It was small and comfy and the girl was obviously happy here.

“My name is Ivy.”

“Ivy is a strange name.” Louis commented.

“I agree but that is what I am called.”

“Why do you speak older than you are? Are you not scared being so young?”

“What do you mean? I can be as old as I please. I just chose to be this old for now. I could be twenty tomorrow if I wished. If you do not like my age...” the girl trailed off. “Would you like any drinks?” They all nodded and the girl disappeared.

They hardly recognised her when she returned. She now looked as if she was twenty years old now instead of the six she did before. She was carrying a tray which held four cups that were made of wood. They were filled with a pinkish liquid and none of them apart from Ivy knew what it was.

“What is this?” Louis asked. “I am not drinking it unless I know what it is.”

“It is a special drink I make for visitors. It is water mixed with the colour of the pink petals off of pink coloured flowers. It tastes nice. It will not kill you or damage you in any way.”

“You better be sure.” Louis said, taking a gulp of his drink. Eddy followed suit. Lizzy took a small sip. “This...This actually tastes all right.” Louis concluded and took another gulp.

“I told you so.” Ivy replied with a smile. Lizzy set her cup on the floor.

“Where are you from?” Lizzy asked. “How did you come to be here?” Ivy took a deep breath before speaking.

“I do not know where I am from. I know that I used to live in a faraway place that was right next to the sea. There was a jungle as well where we worked, well the men did. We lived on the beach, it was better to not live in a work place, especially one so dangerous. I used to climb the trees and swing from the vines. My mother worked with the other fisher-women and my father worked with the ships we had. He used to leave to go on long journeys sometimes for months at a time. While he was away, my mother used to go and help in the jungle with the men where she would cut branches and vines. It was hard work and my mother was only just able to do it.

“I used to sit and watch from the tops of trees and I used to weaken the vines and branches for her so they were easier to cut down. Some days she worked faster than the men who worked around her. I loved watching their faces as they watched her work. Nobody ever saw me help her or see me at all for that matter. It was as if I was invisible in some way.

“Then, one day, my father came into the jungle, just back from a trip. He went to my mother and she stopped working. I deftly ran off, knowing that I would be punished if I was caught listening. I was not even meant to be in the jungle. It was no place for a child; there were too many death traps. I waited down by our little hut until they came to find me. My mother had tears in her eyes and my father looked like he had been shouting a little.

“I watched as my mother packed two bags. One she threw at my father and the other she held in her hands. She walked up to my father, kissed him and vanished. No one ever saw her again after she stole one of the fisher-boats. I do not know what has happened to her. My father then led me to one of the ships and we climbed aboard.

“I was stuck in the cabin for weeks on end and I saw no light at all until we reached the shore of this place. We travelled across the country until we came to the village near here. He left me there and returned to his ship. I do not know whether he made it back to his home-land or not, nor do I honestly care.

“A woman by the name of Sally took me in and explained the fact that the people I had called my parents were not my real parents at all, just two people destined to look after me. I had arrived in the island that I had lived on as a little babe and no one knew where I came from at all, but they accepted me just the same. Sally took me to this place and we sorted it out until I was happy with it before she returned to the village. I heard that a few weeks later she had died. Then a girl went missing and it seemed that she was back to being about the village, helping people and the parents of the girl who was missing. She then vanished again and no one has seen her since.” Ivy finished speaking and looked at them.

“That missing girl was me.” Lizzy whispered.

“I figured that out, Elizabeth-Jane. I am sorry for your losses.”

Please, call me Lizzy.” Lizzy said.

“No, I will not. It is not your full name; therefore I will not call you that. I allow no shortened versions of names at all.”

“If you insist.” Lizzy said.

“I have been told a few things. Many things, in fact, but only a few concern you and your journey.”

“What have you been told?” Louis asked.

“Only two of you may continue your journey. It will involve giving, money and a palace. That is all I am allowed to tell you.” Ivy said.

“But how do we know who is to stay and who is to go?” Eddy asked. In answer, Ivy got up and put her arms around Louis.

“The two who go are not touched by the spirits of time.” Ivy said. Eddy looked at Lizzy before standing up.

“I guess that it is us two that must go.” He said. Lizzy nodded.

“I guess our brave and heroic journey must go on, brave knight.” She replied. Eddy kissed her hand and they walked towards the exit.

“We shall see you soon, Louis.” Eddy said.

“Thank you for your hospitality, Ivy.” Lizzy said. “Goodbye, Louis, we shall hope to see you soon.”

And the two walked from that sacred place.