Chapter Six: True Colors

Start from the beginning

When I didn't say anything while swishing the drink inside my glass in thought, Brandon nudged me in the arm. There was curious amusement on his face.

"Don't tell me Charlotte was actually serious when she said you had lady love problems," he said. "Who is she? Do I know her? Because if I don't, I'll have to meet her because I've never seen you this serious your entire life."

Deflecting, I narrowed my eyes. "I was pretty serious about Charlotte."

Brandon rolled his eyes. "You adore my wife, sure, just like everyone does but if you were really serious, you would've fought me a lot harder for her."

"You two are so married now you even say the same thing she does," I muttered under my breath, uncomfortable with Brandon's quiet scrutiny. Because he was watching for clues, alright. And it wasn't the best time to clue him in about my plans for his sister. Some were pretty honorable, the rest not so much to any brother.

"But seriously, Jake, do you need help?" Brandon prodded. "I wouldn't normally ask but I have recent perspective on the kind of gut-punch you get when you've met the woman you can't live without."

I made a face. "I've still got it, old man, so don't worry about me. You just focus on winning husband of the year, okay?"

Brandon let me off the hook to my utter relief. It was a good thing he was completely obsessed with his wife. He would've picked up on a hell of a lot more had he been paying attention—like my not-so-subtle cornering of Tessa by the bar after her father went to talk to Nicole and Zach.

"I can give you a ride home later, if you like," I told her as I leaned back against the counter and watched the scene she had her eyes on. Brandon had Rose in his arms, twirling her around fast in some kind of dance as the little girl giggled her heart out. "That is, if none of your recent dates are picking you up after the party."

I inwardly winced at the jab because I'd held it back for about a week now no matter how raw it rubbed me. I promised her a truce and I was adamant to stick to it but my mouth could only hold on to its muzzle for so long.

I was prepared for a quiet but blistering set-down so I was surprised when she just glanced up at me with a bemused smile. "They're not so yes, I accept your offer."

"I was expecting you to tell me that it's none of my business," I confessed before I could mentally kick myself.

She sighed a little. "It's not but we both know that's not going to stop you. Tonight's too perfect a night to ruin with another argument when we've managed without one for three weeks."

I should've stopped here but she was right—nothing was going to stop me if it was important enough to me. "Why did you do it?"

"Because I'm not going to put my life on hold for a guy, Jake—not even for you," she answered calmly.

"You didn't have to do that to prove it. I know you wouldn't," I said a tad bit sulkily. "You have more steel in your spine than you show the world, Tess, but I've seen it enough times to know it's there, constantly bearing the weight of your insecurities and fears."

She was silent for a moment that I glanced down and found her staring pensively into the distance, a small frown drawing in her brows. "And you think one of my fears is letting a man affect my decisions and ending up making stupid ones."

I shrugged. "Every decision about a love you can't have looks stupid one way or another. But when it's yours, every decision seems fated."

"Huh," was all she said before setting down her drink and straightening away, deliberately avoiding my gaze. "I'm going to chat with Felicity about getting people home in case they've had too much to drink."