Kings and Queens

edited: 10/9/2016

It goes without saying that the students of Hogwarts were more serious than their parents before them. After all, with a wizarding war raging outside, and the death toll rising everyday, most of the students wanted nothing more than to help. Muggleborns and Purebloods alike, everyone was on the edge of their seat, hoping with everything they had that they wouldn't get the notice that their loved ones had been killed. 

first, second, third, and fourth years huddled in the common rooms, talking about how brave their parents were as they did their assignments. 

fifth years threw themselves into their studies, desperately aiming for the highest possible scores on their O.W.Ls, hoping that this would help them contribute to the war effort.

seventh years did the same, training themselves in dueling and studying for their N.E.W.T.s, dreading their graduation day.

more than half of the school was wholeheartedly focused on preparing to enter the war, as they would be expected to when their graduation came. 

But the sixth years? 

The sixth years wanted to forget. 

And so, the class on 1978 spent their weekends drinking and smoking their lives away, hoping that in the morning they would wake up and it would all have been a dream. 

During their sixth year, if you asked any one of them, they'd tell you that they partied because it was fun, because it was better than studying. 

If you asked any one of them, they'd say that Courtney Janson and James Potter were the Queen and King of partying, of drinking their minds away, and of forgetting what was happening. They'd say that they'd give anything to possess the respect and stature that the two had. 

If you asked any sixth year a year later, they'd say that they would give anything to go back and change. 

They'd say that it wasn't worth it. 

Because what often happens to kings and queens?

They get cocky. 

And then they get killed.