15|THEORY OF ALCHEMY

Start from the beginning

At least Ally had the formula. She saw how desperate HYRDA was to get ahold of the serum so she had sworn an oath to herself that she wouldn't show anyone until she knew that the serum was made correctly.

With a glint of pride in her eyes, she slid into Erskine's chair and begun to write out the list of all the things she had to do. His lab had already been rummaged through by the SSR, in hopes of finding the formula. Most of Erksine's notes were scattered and a majority of his lab was destroyed.

She was going to make this work.

The serum was a chemical solution, therefore she needed some kind of base. Having no clue what she should start with, Ally had successfully managed to blow herself a few times. According to Erskine, the serum amplified everything that is inside, strength, emotion, healing factors and so forth.

She tapped a penicil against her forehead, which was smeared with the ash from her last attempted failure. Ally then rubbed the sides of her head, dealing with a massive headache that wouldn't go away until she figured it out. She pushed herself away from Erskine's desk and grabbed a dictionary, determined to find the right method that would finish the serum.

With a small smile, she ran her finger over a certain definition. Alchemy, a philosophical and proto scientific tradition practiced throughout Europe, Egypt and Asia. It aimed to purify, mature, and perfect certain objects. It was thought to be the creation of immortality, the perfection of the human body and soul, it was believed to create a means of superior behaviour. Chemicals used within this seemingly magical method were citric acid, calamine, galena and realgar.

Her eyes widened and she slammed the dictionary on the floor, running up and grabbing the chemicals listed. She swung her jacket to the ground, sweating excitedly as she carefully applied each chemical to the super serum formula. She mixed them all in test tubes, watching the clear liquid soon turn into a blue mixture. She blinked twice, making sure she was seeing correctly. She handled the vial with extreme caution and settled it over a small flame to boil.

"I did it," she breathed out. "I actually did it!"

A blinding flash sent her across the room...there was an enormous explosion. Multiple windows had shattered and smoke began to rise to the top of the ceiling. Ally, still conscious, pushed herself up with one hand. She looked down at her cut palms and began to swear when she noticed the blue super serum mixing with her blood. Ally didn't have much time to cope with what she had just done, knowing that some form of SSR employees would be in the lab in no time.

Ally felt a massive gash on her forehead and she knew she would have to get stitches. She looked around for the rest of the vial, scrambling around on her hands and knees. As she heard incoming footsteps, she saw the half broken vial with the some of the serum still in it.

"Doctor Jones?" someone called out, causing her to scurry to the vial. "There is lots of smoke, you need to get out!"

Ally didn't reply, instead she scurried towards the vial and shakily proceeded to put the remaining serum into a new beaker.

"Doctor Jones I really don't want to arrest you for breaking into Doctor Erskine's property and vandalizing it."

Panicked, Ally stood up from her hiding spot and grasped onto the vial. "Sorry, sorry. I know I shouldn't be back here but I needed to mourn. One of his experiments went off and I just happened to be in here when it was. I think I need medical care."

"You look fine Doctor Jones, did you hit your head or something?"

Confused, Ally went to touch the gash on her head but found that it had already began to scab. Astonished, she walked away from Erskine's lab and replied. "Actually, I'll think I will be on my way now."

"If you insist. How do I explain this to headquarters?"

"Easy," she responded. "One of Erskine's stupid experiments blew up." And then she ran, she ran (unknowingly) faster than she had ever ran in her life. She turned every corner with grace and when she came to a complete stop, she hadn't even broke a sweat.

She brought the vial hidden in her hand to her face, unable to comprehend what was going on. "What have you done to me?" she whispered, looking at the blue liquid through the glass.