Summer of '59

That morning was pretty strange

It's the summer of '59, a long time ago. Well, if you measured it in years.

I was only 11 going on 12, at the time.

I lived in a small town in Oregon called Castle Rock, there's only 1,281 people, but to me, it's the whole world.

I have a twin brother named Gordie and 3 friends, who happen to also be Gordie's friends. They were the best, I couldn't have asked for better friends than these 3 crazy boys.

My twin brother Gordie and I were in a shop, he bought a magazine and snuck a pack of cancer sticks into his pocket for Chris.

Gordie and I walked up the dirt hill and over to the ladder. Gordie climbed up first and did the secret knock. The hatch opened letting both Gordie and I up. "Hey Gordo, hey Gigi." Teddy greeted. "Hey Teddy, hey Chris." I said sitting on the bench next to Gordie. I watched as my brother played 31 with Chris and Teddy. "How do you know a frenchman's been in your backyard?" Chris asked looking at Gordie and I. "Hey I'm French okay?" Teddy defended with a cigarette between his lips. I looked back at Chris waiting for him to tell us. "Your garbage cans are empty and your dogs pregnant." Chris looked at Gordie and I. The three of us broke out in laughter as Teddy frowned. "Didn't I just say I was French?"

"Oh please, you're about as french as Gordie and I are, and we're not very french." I said looking at Gordie who began laughing along with me.

"I knock." Chris said knocking on the table with a smirk. We knew he had a fair deal in his hand. "Twenty-nine." He said setting the cards down in front of him and putting the cigarette in his mouth taking a drag. Teddy rolled his eyes setting his cards down and said, "twenty-two." Chris looked at Gordie waiting for his response, even me. "Oh piss up a rope!" Gordie yelled slamming his cards down. Chris, Teddy and I laughed at this.

"Gordie's out! Ol' Gordie just bit the bag and stepped out the door!" Teddy chanted laughing his famous Teddy Duchamp laugh. "Come on man, deal." Chris said over Teddy's laughter.

Teddy Duchamp was crazy, the craziest guy we hung out with. Didn't have much of a chance in life. His dad was giving him the fits of rage. One time, he held Teddy's ear to a stove and almost burned it off.

"You gonna play Gigi?" Chris asked. I nodded and Teddy dealt me in. I took the cards and turned them around. I looked over at Gordie who closed his magazine for a second and looked at the cards I had. He smirked. I knocked, "I knock." I said with a smirk. Chris and Teddy looked at me shocked, "what?" Teddy asked. I set my cards down, "31 suckers!" I said laughing, Gordie and I did our secret handshake. Teddy and Chris slammed down their cards. "Alright Gigi's not playing anymore." Chris said dealing the cards. I looked at him. "Why not?" I asked looking at him with my head tilted slightly. "Cause you always win whenever we play, it's not fair." I smirked at his response. "Aw don't flip your wig Chrissy-boy." I said waving my hand at him. "Don't call me that Georgia." He said glaring. I smiled showing off my dimples. "Aw shit she's giving us the dimple!" Teddy yelled. "God, I can never be mad at you." Chris said with a smile. "It's impossible to be mad at her." Gordie said. I smiled hugging Gordie.