Best Off As Friends

Start from the beginning

"Was that, er, better?" he asked.

Lily hesitated, "Well," she said, "I didn't bloody my lip that time."

"No, you didn't," Remus replied.

She rubbed her arm a moment, looking to one side. He glanced at the other students in the Common Room, but they still were paying no attention to the two second years. When his eyes returned to hers, she looked almost sad.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Lily shook her head, "Nothing. Just --" she paused. "No, let's give it another go. C'mere. Maybe this time you put your hand on my shoulder? Maybe that will help?"

"Alright." Remus lifted his palm and rested it on her shoulder. "Like this?"

"Yeah," Lily nodded.

"Alright." He hesitated, "Am I still going to the left a bit?"

"Yeah," she said.

Remus wasn't sure what the hand on her shoulder was supposed to do, but whatever it was it didn't seem to be doing it. When they pulled back from the kiss again this time, her cheeks were red with frustration and there were tears threatening her eyes. "Perhaps on the couch?"

"Lily," Remus spoke gently, "We.. we don't have to snog."

Lily swallowed nervously. "No?"

Remus shook his head. He paused, afraid to say what he was feeling. "I - I think perhaps we're best off as friends."

Lily's eyes met his and the tears that were threatening began to fall.

"I'm sorry," he said quickly, "I take it back. We can stay snogging if you like, it's okay, I'll get the hang of it, I'll get better. You said on the couch? We can try on the couch, c'mon let's go right now." He started to jump up but she caught his arm and made him sit back down.

"I'm not crying because of that. I just... I'm sorry it didn't work out, you know? I rather liked the idea of being your girlfriend. I enjoyed it. You're really good at holding hands and you make me smile a lot."

Remus laughed softly and reached a hand up to her tears to wipe them away with his thumbs. "Aw Evans, c'mon, I can still hold your hand and make you smile a lot when I'm your friend. We don't need to be snogging for all that."

Lily smiled back, "But, won't people think we're together if we're holding hands?"

"We are together if we're holding hands," Remus pointed out, "I can't be in another room and hold your hand, you silly goose."

Lily laughed and pushed him, "You know what I mean!"

Remus smiled, "Who cares what they think?" he asked, "They're all gits anyways."

Lily took his hand in her own and studied the curve of his fingernails for a moment. They had a good deal of dirt beneath them and there were scars all over the skin that wrapped about on up his arm, disappearing beneath his rolled-up uniform sleeve. She looked up at him, still bleary eyed, but smiling. "You're right," she said, "They are gits." She leaned forward and wrapped her arms 'round his shoulders tightly, glad to have him as her friend.

Next morning, Lily was on her way to Potions when Severus grabbed her arm and pulled her down the dark corridor beyond the stairs, out of the ear shot of the other students crowding the hallway. He glanced back over his shoulder to be sure no one was following after them and looked at her with his dark, shadowed eyes from between long strands of his hair that had fallen into his face. "The Lupin boy broke up with you?" he asked, voice eager.