Chapter 1

I never knew my life would change that day I first saw the Kingslayer. He was just that: the Kingslayer. He didn't mean anything to me - he was a murderer and that was it. My father, Ned Stark, forbid me to even look at the man, so scared was he that I would fall for his charming ways. That was not the case though, not for me. I had a strong will and a strong heart.

I would never fall for him...at least that's what I had told myself the day we arrived at the castle. King Robert Baratheon had summoned my father to King's Landing and with my father came me and my sisters Sansa and Arya. Stepping down from the carriage that brought us here, the sunlight hit my tan skin and it lit up my dark brown tresses.

"My Martell princess." my father grinned at me as he helped Sansa down.

I rolled my eyes at my father's little joke, smiling over at him good-naturedly. Of course, I was not a Martell as he very well knew. It was a running joke in the family since I was a wee little thing. I can't really say for certain how the nickname came to be. I had been adopted in the early years of Ned and Catelyn's marriage, a poor orphaned infant of Dorne. It was unusual news, to say the least, when it spread through the North that they had taken me in. But to me? To me, the Starks were just family. My only family. No matter the blood, I was a Stark. Joan Stark, to be exact.

Glancing up, I took in the large castle towering above me. It's walls were the color of sand and it's towers reached up high into the sky. Arya jumped down from the carriage, landing beside me and I laughed at her zealousness.

"Arya!" Sansa scolded, "You could at least try acting like a girl for once in your life!"

"Why would I want to do that? So I could be stupid and whine about things like you do?" Arya said, sticking out her tongue.

Father come in between them, breaking up the argument. I rolled my eyes as a short man in expensive clothes came to greet us. His hair was dark blond and shaggy, nearly reaching his shoulders. He smiled widely at us and spread his arms wide.

"Welcome to King's Landing, Lord Stark! The king has been patiently awaiting your arrival," he beamed as my father leant down to shake his outstretched hand.

"It's good to see you again, Lord Tyrion. May I introduce my daughters, Sansa, Arya, and Joan?" father said, pulling us forward.

I curtsied to Lord Tyrion and my sisters did the same. With a smile and a nod, he signaled for us to follow him. He lead us deep into the castle. As we walked, I couldn't help but stare up at the portraits hanging on the walls. They were of lords and ladies of long ago, I imagined - dressed in fine clothes and precious jewels. I found myself wanting to be one of them - just once in my life to have a taste of finery such as that.

Soon, I was jolted out of my thoughts as my father steered me by the arm into the throne room where the king and queen awaited us. King Robert sat on the famous Iron Throne before us, his wife, Queen Cersei, beside him. Standing near to them was their song, Prince Joffrey. Bowing low to them along with my siblings, I noticed Sansa smiling coyly over at Joffrey and him smirking back at her. I rolled my eyes at her behavior. Hadn't she heard the tales of his cowardice and brattiness?

As father talked to the king, my head swiveled around once more, taking in all aspects of the large castle. It was beautiful in the throne room - big and spacious. I never knew it would be this vast. An oversized Baratheon banner was hung behind the throne and commodious windows rose the length of the walls. Suddenly, the swish of a cloak on the floor and jangling of metal reached my ears. My head pivoted around and my eyes landed on a tall, blond man dressed in armor from head-to-toe.

A long golden hilted sword hung at his side, ready to be withdrawn at a moment's notice. As he walked in, he nodded to my father and went to stand by the Queen. And then his cat-green eyes met mine and I sucked in a breath. He was beautiful, gorgeous even. His unkempt blond hair hung around his face and his jawline looked like it was cut of stone. In all my life, I had never seen a man such as him.

"Lady Joan," King Robert's voice rang out in the massive room, "What ever are you so intently staring at?"

Note: Okay, that was Chapter 1, guys! Do you like it so far? Should I continue? :)