Alone and Scared

Začít od začátku

The muffled clicking of a lock being opened pushed Calira to steady her nerves as she dragged herself to her feet. She clenched her teeth as pain soared up her legs. Running would be nigh impossible but she had to try. She moved to stand close to the wall next to the door. Every step was excruciating but necessary if she wanted to survive.

"Princess," a thick accent filled the room as two men stepped through the doorway. Calira slammed the tray in the first man's hands up and used it to push him and his partner back. Both men fell back as Calira pushed her legs to jump over their disoriented figures. She grabbed the second man's head and gave it a sharp twist. She heard the lethal crack as she pulled his saber from his belt and shoved it through the first man's neck. Neither man had a chance to make a noise before they were both dead.

Calira scanned the hallway. It was empty except for a table and two chairs near what she assumed was the entrance. Her cell was the only one and she looked toward the stairs next to the entrance. She didn't know what awaited her at the top of them. She stripped her guards of their weapons, grateful that she was no longer unarmed. Her legs kept trying to buckle beneath her but she wouldn't let them. She needed to get out of this building. If she was going to die, she was going to die fighting, not as a prisoner.

***

Alaric paced his bedroom. Night had fallen and there was still no word from Zarek and Wesley. He glanced at the painting that hid the passage to his betrothed's bedroom. He had always assumed that she would be on the other side, but now he knew that their life together was fragile. A soft whine from his bed drew Alaric's attention as he turned to look at the pathetic dog on lying on his comforter. He too kept his golden eyes on the painting, waiting for his mistress to return. He knew something was wrong.

Smart dog, Alaric thought to himself as he sat next to Leopold and patted his head in the same way he had seen Calira do. Alaric fell back as he stared at the canopy of his bed. Leopold readjusted himself so that his head was on Alaric's stomach and that's how the two of them fell asleep.

Knocking woke the sleeping King and sent Leopold into a barking frenzy. It was probably something his mistress had encouraged to dissuade intruders and Alaric would never be able to hold it against her after this incident.

"You're Majesty?" Alaric frowned at the voice that came from beyond the thick wooden door. It was a familiar voice, but not one he wanted to deal with at the moment. He pulled the door open and found Veronique DuBare on the other side. She was dressed in what used to be his favorite outfit on her: a thin chemise with a sheer robe. It was clear what she was here for.

"Veronique," Alaric greeted softly, hoping not to garner attention. He would not have this reach the ears of his father, his bride or her bodyguards. He'd never hear the end of it.

"May I please come in?" Veronique placed her hand on Alaric's exposed chest. Alaric sighed before he moved to allow the woman into his room, if only to get her out of the hallway. Leopold growled at the woman from the corner of the room and she glared at the dog as Alaric easily quieted him.

"What do you want Veronique?" Alaric asked as he patted Leopold on the head before folding his arms across his chest. He had been steadily ending his various affairs with his mistresses and the woman in front of him was the only one left. Calira's kidnapping had distracted him from finishing it with her.

"I'm here to comfort you, Your Grace," Veronique purred as she dropped her robe and pulled her chemise off. Alaric's eyebrow quirked as he glanced down her body. As beautiful as she was, he found he just wasn't as interested in her body as he once had been. He didn't have the strength at the moment to really think about why his tastes had suddenly shifted toward the blonde argumentative type.

"I'm afraid that is unnecessary, Veronique," Alaric replied as Veronique stared at him with wide eyes. The look of surprise was quickly replaced with a look of anger.

"You've been poisoned by your bride, I see," she hissed as Alaric frowned.

"My bride?"

"She told me in our last meeting that she was going to make you believe I was no longer needed. I see she succeeded," Veronique lied easily, hoping to rile the King up.

"My bride did no such thing. In fact, she told me that she didn't mind my many dalliances as long as I allowed her the same freedom," Alaric snarled as Veronique froze. She had counted on Calira's clearly possessive nature to lure the King back into her bed. Alaric narrowed his eyes on his soon-to-be ex paramour. His father had been right to be angry with him for having surrounded Calira with his conquests. He had taken them at the words about their desires to be friends with his bride. Now he could see that Calira's accusations had been accurate. They had been whispering words of venom and malice in her ears while pouring words of sugar and sweetness in his.

"You're Majesty..."

"Get out, Veronique. Now. We are done. I will not come to your bed ever again." Alaric growled as he nodded toward the door. Veronique sputtered and tears filled her eyes.

"Please....you loved me once!"

"We were having fun. Now that fun is done." Veronique quickly gathered her chemise and robe and fled the room. Alaric slammed the door shut behind her. He'd catch hell for making lady of the court flee his bedroom in dead of night as naked as the day she was born, but at the moment he didn't care. He was fuming at himself. Alaric had barely turned from the door when another knock filled the room.

"You're Highness?" Valerius' voice filtered in from the other side. Alaric quickly ripped the door open, expecting some sort of news.

"There's been a message, sir. It's from Lord Wesley," Valerius pulled a rumpled piece of parchment paper from his vest and handed it over. Alaric grabbed the parchment and ripped it open. Wesley's quick strokes filled the page.

Found compound. 

Princess secured. 

Severelyinjured. 

Culprits escaped. 

DuBare Traitor.