“He is a good man, your father,” Ebony realised.

“The best.” Annie smiled. “He understands the common man, you see. He was raised by farmers and learned to work for what he had. That’s where your Celeste is, on our grandmother’s farm in Yorkshire. It’s ever so pretty in spring with all the wildflowers about.”

Celeste would be enjoying herself then. She liked being outside. “Your mother seems very lovely too,” Ebony added.

“Mama has a special patience for those who’ve walked the hard road,” Kitty said mysteriously.

“Mama knows what it’s like to be a victim herself. But it’s not our story to tell. I’m sure she will speak to you in due course,” Annie concluded.

The rest of the journey’s conversation was taken up by both Kitty and Annie talking about their children and husbands. Kitty was very upset and angry at the fact that her husband, the Admiral of the Fleet, William Aubrey, was to set off for a journey in two months’ time and she couldn’t do a thing about it.

“I’m going to be an absolute mess on the docks,” Kitty said simply. “You both shall have to hold my hands so as I don’t jump in the water and swim after his ship. HMS Scarlet it’s called. Sounds like a whore’s name if you ask me.” She pouted.

“It’s the name of the ship, not a woman on board.” Annie laughed.

“Same difference,” Kitty snapped. She folded her arms across her chest and frowned. “I can just see a pretty, young thing in the Americas with ivory skin and no scars just charming the slacks off of him.”

“You know that’s ridiculous,” Annie said at the same time as Ebony asked “What scars?”

Ebony couldn’t see any scars.

“I know,” she sighed, accepting the reality. Ebony didn’t know her husband’s character but Annie seemed certain that an affair was completely preposterous. “I’ll just miss him ever so much. I have a scar along here.” Kitty drew an imaginary line along the bottom of her stomach. “My sister, Little J, the doctor you met, she had to cut Millie out of me. She saved us both.”

“She’s certainly incredibly talented. But I’ve never heard or seen a female doctor before. Is it a London thing?” Ebony asked.

“No, it’s all be hushed up. Papa’s influence had a lot to do with it. Basically it was a huge, secret charade in which Little J masqueraded as a man to attend university. When the powers that be found out, they allowed her to graduate but they wouldn’t acknowledge her as a student nor was she allowed to attend the graduation ceremony. She’s a doctor without any school records.” Annie looked out the carriage window and smiled. “Ah, we’re here,” she announced.

The three women climbed out of the carriage and entered the medical practice soon after. Harrison’s door was closed and she could hear voices inside that led her to believe he was with a patient. They three walked directly up the stairs and saw that virtually everyone, bar Little J, had left for the day. She wondered where Ellen had got to.

“Hello, little brother,” Kitty chirped as they opened the door.

Henry was still lying down in the bed, though his head was propped up with pillows. He smiled widely as he saw Ebony and she felt the blood rush to her cheeks.

‘How humiliating?’ she thought.

“Don’t you look beautiful?” Little J said kindly as she motioned for Ebony to turn. Ebony reluctantly obliged.

“Thank you,” she said bashfully.     

“Where is everyone, Little J?” Annie asked.