Chapter Thirty Five | I'd Believe In You

Start from the beginning

Stan turned to me. "Is Alex coming down now?" 

I nodded, not trusting my voice. "Did you let your mum know?" 

Frowning, I shook my head. Stan sighed, nodding. "Okay. I'll go see what's going on, and come back and let you know. Harls." Stan said, making me meet his eyes. "Everything's going to be okay." 

"The last time I was in one of these rooms and another police man had said that to me, I found out Jamie was dead and Marley was the reason for that." I said, my voice cracking at the last part of that sentence.

Stan's eyes flashed with sympathy. "That isn't going to happen this time. You sit tight, I'll be back."

I watched Stan's back as he walked out the door, closing it gently behind him. The voice of the weather man filled the room, his deep and cheerful voice filling the silence.

Why was it always Marley? Why did he always get dealt with the short end of the stick? Nothing ever went his way; nothing was ever on his side.

When people say they have their backs to the world, the opposite applies to him. The worlds got it's back to Marley.

And it's just not fucking fair.

I sighed out in frustration, walking over to the window that looked out into the station, watching absently as people walked back and forth, some carrying papers, some talking to another, one leading a guy in handcuffs towards where the cells were.

I could hear Jag and Archer talking in hushed voices behind me, but I tuned them out, trying to sort this out in my head.

Who would put drugs in Marley's locker? Who would plant them in there, knowing he'd get in trouble? Whoever put them their would have had to have tipped off someone in order for them to be found, because the staff didn't just go through students lockers after school. No, someone told another.

And now my little brother was yet again being framed for something he didn't do.

And I couldn't do anything to help him.

I felt myself jolt when a familiar person walked into the room outside the window. Flynn was stalking towards the coffee machine, his face drawn tight and his cellphone in his hand. He was frowning down at the screen, his finger pressing one of the buttons as he held it up to his ear, stopping just in front of me on the other side of the window. 

My phone rang in my pocket. 

Fishing it out, the caller ID read Flynn's name, and I bit my lip, pressing 'accept'. Bringing the phone up to my ear, I waited. 

"Harlow?" Flynn said, his forehead scrunching as he waited for me to reply. 

"Look up," I murmured into the phone, and watched as his eyes snapped up, searching through the window for a few seconds before they landed on me. His face smoothed out, a softer look taking over his taut expression. 

"Come out here." He muttered, hanging up the phone. I glanced over at Jag and Archer, who were still talking quietly in serious voices on the couches. 

"Guys, I'll be right back." I said, watching as they nodded at me. Grabbing the door handle, I stepped out into the station, turning to face Flynn as he walked over to me, standing in my personal space.

Normally I didn't mind. He was close, and I liked that. But not right now. Not when he had refused to tell me what was going on back at my house.

Taking a step back, I watched him frown, something like hurt flashing through his eyes. "What's going on?" I whispered, meeting those shocking blue eyes as my chest tightened again. "Is Marley okay?" 

"He's fine, he's being questioned right now." Flynn replied quietly, and I held his eye contact even though all I wanted to do was look away. 

I loved this man. I did. But for some reason, the fact that he hadn't told me what was going on at my house was playing in the back of my mind, holding me back. "He didn't do it, Flynn."

I was waiting for him to say, "I know," or something along those lines, but all I got was a "Who else would have his locker combination?" 

I could feel myself growing angrier. "Marley doesn't do drugs, or sell them, or anything like that." 

"And yet we have evidence of him doing exactly that." 

"Why don't you believe me?" I asked, my eyes locking with his as my stomach got that weird, heavy feeling again. 

"Because you're saying one thing, and what we found is saying another, Harlow. I believe in the facts, and the facts are saying you're wrong." 

My heart stopped for a second. It just...sat there for a moment, my face growing disbelieving, before it fell. That hurt, what he had just said. It had hurt a lot. 

Flynn saw this, because he stepped closer, trying to grab my hand, "Harls, what would you believe in my position-"

"I'd believe in you. I'd trust you." I spat, ripping my hand away from him as I felt my eyes get a little wetter. Flynn's face froze in a half pained expression, his eyes searching mine as I forced myself to keep looking at him, to keep strong even though inside I was kind of starting to crumble a little. "I wouldn't be trying to frame your brother." 

"I didn't mean it like that-" Flynn tried to grab my hand again, but I was having none of it. "Don't do this, don't pull away from me. I'm only trying to do my job." 

A little part of me knew that. But the bigger part, the sister and the girlfriend side, won out. "I can't help it." 

"Hey, don't cry." Flynn's thumbs touched my face, and I flinched at the contact. He wiped away a tear that had leaked out, and I lifted my face, about to push him off when I saw the love in his eyes. 

Love. Shining, at me. For me. I gasped slightly, that look in his blue depths hitting me with too much force. 

Flynn loved me. 

It was obvious now. 

"Harlow." I heard my dads voice through the haze of what Flynn had created around us and I pulled away, spinning to see my dad walking towards me in a hurried gate, worry written all over him. 

"Dad." I said in a strange voice. "You're here." I walked up to him, brushing past Flynn as dad met me in the middle, his arms enveloping me into a tight hug. 

"Of course I'm here." He breathed, and I let him go after a few more moments. "Now what's going on?" 

Glancing back at Flynn, our eyes met, and I felt my eyes welling up again. Why was I even crying? It wasn't like we'd just broken up or anything like that, and we hadn't even really fought. 

I was just...upset. 

Because he loved me? 

Right now, I didn't even want to think about it, so I sighed, breaking eye contact. "Let's go in there." I said to dad, pointing to the room where Jag and Archer were.

The last thing I saw before I shut the door behind us was Flynn's face, contorted into a painful mask of emotion.

* * * * 

Sorry if this seems messy! Another chapter is completed though, and we're getting nearer to the end guys! I'm both excited and sad about that, because I'll miss writing Flynn and Harlow's world, but I'm excited because there's so many potential stories stemming from this book, so maybe I won't have to stop writing about them completely (: 

Comment, vote, let me know what you think (: 

x