Chapter 1

Gangster Wolf (werewolf romance)

***

“So how old are you baby?”

The tall handsome guy with sandy brown hair was holding a beer in his hand and leaning lazily against the dining room wall as he spoke.  Tiffany could barely hold back the girlish giggle that threatened to bubble up in her throat.  She couldn’t believe that she was really here on a school night with her best friend Fiona among guys who were close to five years her senior, college guys at that.

“Eighteen.”  It wasn’t a complete lie, she would be eighteen in just two days.

“Cool,” the guy bobbed his head drunkenly.  “What’s your name?”

“Tiffany,” she managed to get out.  “But you can call me Tiff.”

Fiona was not nearly as good at concealing her emotions; she buried her face in Tiffany’s shoulder and started to giggle uncontrollably.

“You want a beer doll-face?”  The young man asked and Fiona giggled all the more.

“Hey, you can’t offer my kid sister any beer,” Duke cut in angrily.  “She’s only here to stop her from squealing to Mom and Dad that I threw a party while they were away.  Just ignore her.”

“She’s kind of cute,” the sandy haired guy said.  “I wouldn’t mind getting to know her better.”

“Forget her, she’s not even eighteen yet,” Duke pointed out gripping his arm and starting to tug him away from where Tiffany was standing.

“My brother can be such a spoil sport,” Tiffany grumbled.

“And you, I want you in bed on the double!”  Duke shouted back at Tiffany angrily.  “You and your little friend.”

“You can’t tell me what to do,” Tiffany said angrily.

She hated how her parents always took off and left her older brother in charge and he treated her like some five year old kid.

“He’s so obnoxious,” Fiona grunted angrily.

“Either you go to bed willingly or I take you to the bedroom and look you in it.  Your choice,” Duke threatened and the good looking sandy haired guy chuckled.

“I don’t want to be at your stupid party anyway,” Tiffany screamed racing towards the staircase a tear already springing to her eyes.  Duke seemed to take pleasure in making her look like a jerk in front of his friends.

“Tiffany!”  Fiona screamed after her but Tiffany just kept on running.  She hated home, she hated the way her family treated her like some china doll that had to be taken out of the box every morning and cleaned and replaced.  This wasn’t life, this wasn’t living, she couldn’t wait until she was eighteen years old and get as far away from all of them as she could and finally live her own life.

“Tiffany!”

Tiffany could here laughter mixed with Fiona shouts behind her and she kept running.

“Tiffany,” Fiona sounded breathless as she raced into the bedroom behind Tiffany who had flung herself onto the bed and was weeping uncontrollably.

“It’s just a party,” Fiona consoled.  “They’ll be other parties and other boys.”

“Maybe for you but never for me,” Tiffany sobbed.

“That’s not true,” Fiona comforted patting her friend on her back gently.

Tiffany sat up and rubbed the backs of her hands across her eyes and fought to be brave.