Chapter 24: The One

Start from the beginning

"What you mean?" I asked.

"You look like you in your feelings, what is it?"

I shrugged. "Nothing."

She side eyed me. "Okay."

"Okay, Ronny wants to go get something to eat afterschool." I blurted.

"Okay? And that's a bad thing?"

"Yes- I mean no. Lena, I gotta tell you something."

"I'm listening."

I rubbed my arm. "You know how I don't really eat? Well.. That's because I'm bulimic."

Then Ronny walked over to us. "Wassup?"

"And you told Ronny before you told me? Wow Candace, I can't believe you wouldn't tell me!"

"Whoa!" Ronny backed up a little, "what I do?"

"I'm sorry Lena, I just didn't know how to tell you. And I didn't tell Ronny, he figured it out that Sunday when I barely ate at his grandmother's house."

Lena shook her head. "I should've known. I was in denial. I could've been trying to help you!"

"This isn't your fault Lena, don't blame yourself. And I don't need you or you, Ronny making my problems yours." I told them before taking a sip of water.

"So that's why you been feeding her, Ronny? I thought that was your way of flirting."

I spit out my water and Ronny burst out laughing.

"I was just tryna be a good friend. Trust me, that is not how I flirt." He winked at Lena.

I rolled my eyes. "Did you ever get your antiobiotics?" I asked Ronny.

He gave me a look. "Yeah, I been got them. I don't need to take them no more.

"Antiobiotics for what?" Lena asked.

"Ronny had-"

"I had the flu." He cut me off.

I smirked.

"So y'all eating with us or what?"

"Give us a second." I said to Ronny and he went to his table.

"What's the real problem Candy?" Lena asked.

"I don't know, I'm just nervous.."

"Why? Y'all talk about everything apparently."

"But it's different this time. I think I..."

"You think you have feelings for him?" She smiled.

I nodded slowly. "Man, I really wish I didn't. Ronny's a great guy and all, but I don't wanna be played again."

"So this is about when y'all were kids? You gotta let that go Candy."

"I know, it's just hard. Even if he wasn't the way he is, what makes you think he'd like me?"