“Have you thought anymore about what you’re going to do?” Eddie asked. It sounded innocent enough, but I knew he meant giving in to the thirst. I half-expected him to ask for his necklace back.

I glared at him, unable to hold back my distaste. I got the impression he wanted to use me for his own gain. I just hadn’t figured out what that was.

“You already know what I’m going to do,” I said, venom penetrating my tone.

“Ava, chill,” Peter said.

“You might like kissing his arse, but it isn’t my idea of fun,” I snapped back. I turned to Eddie, deciding to set him straight. “And you. Don’t think I’m stupid. You’re a little too interested in what would happen if I drank blood. You’re not all that invested in Carl’s safety. Or mine for that matter. So maybe it’s time you spat out what’s really in it for you.”

He stared at his plate for too long. I stood, ready to leave.

“Sit down.” Eddie didn’t shout, but his voice reverberated around the room, shocking me into obeying. The force of his will washed away and angered me all over again.

“I apologise,” he added. “But you need to watch that attitude. It won’t get you anywhere and you, little girl, owe me. You’ll listen to my advice if you know what’s good for you.”

“Eddie, go easy on her,” Peter said. Eddie held his hand up abruptly. Peter choked, his eyes widening in surprise. He grabbed his throat, opening and closing his mouth repeatedly.

“What are you doing to him?” I didn’t know what to do. Eddie was more powerful than I had guessed, but Peter was turning purple. “Stop it!” I shouted, jumping to my feet again. Carl followed suit, but I pushed him back down, afraid Eddie would pick on him too.

Eddie rolled his eyes and gestured with his hand. Peter gasped a couple of ragged breaths.

“Now,” Eddie said, an irrepressibly smug smile on his face. “I’m a lot older, wiser, and more powerful than you. Don’t piss me off. This is your only warning.”

Peter threw a horrified glance my way. I swore under my breath. I knew being around other people was a mistake. Someone always got hurt, or worse, turned out to be a major arsehole.

I leaned my elbows on the table and nestled my head in my hands. 14, 28, 56, 112, okay. All I had to do was persuade a hungry vampire to help me get rid of Carl, spark a vampire world war and manage to survive it all without being struck by lightning or getting offed by a moody as yet unknown entity with super powers called Eddie.

I sighed wearily and looked up at Eddie. “What exactly is it you want?” The odd presence I kept feeling blew on the back of my neck as if urging me to play along, except I wasn’t sure whose side it was on.

Eddie grinned as though things hadn’t gotten as tense as hell. “I don’t want a thing, Ava. Not yet. But the time will come when I’ll need you on my side. And I want you to be ready.” He leaned forward and whispered to me. “Or you’ll be no use to anyone.”

A shiver ran up my back at his words and the darkness in his eyes, but I fired back a defiant glare, unable to let myself show he was intimidating me. One corner of his mouth curved upward.

“Why don’t you three pay a visit to Becca,” he said after a moment of tense silence. I’ll work on Daimhín’s crowd and get back to you. I know you could call, Peter, but I’d rather do it myself.” He smirked at Peter who lowered his head.

None of us argued. We left, subdued into silent obedience. In the car, I sensed Peter’s frustration, but I was curious.

“Who is he calling?” I asked.