Chapter 19: Change of Plans

Start from the beginning

Zea looked at Anastasia and then at Peter. “I am sorry, Anna, but you’ll need to share one with Peter. Peter, can you get in the pilot seat and see whether your nervous system is compatible with the craft?”

He jumped in the cockpit and Anastasia climbed in behind him. The cover closed and the craft filled itself with liquid. Both of them looked scared initially, but after a few seconds, Peter seemed adjusted and they started to levitate and make slight manoeuvres to the left and right. Peter gave a clear signal and Anastasia nodded.

Thank God, it was compatible.

Zea motioned me over and we got into the other mosquito. The glass dome closed, the cockpit filled up with the liquid and before I could steady myself we sped up at full speed to the hangar’s exit following Peter and Anastasia’s craft.

I thanked God for Zea’s flight experience as the hive exploded around us and we were propelled into space at incredible speed. Somehow she stopped us spinning, made a sharp left-side turn to avoid us crashing into one of the white cubes and then did a series of evasive manoeuvres to get the same craft off our backs.

I sat back and looked at the chaos around me. There was debris everywhere and the white cubes were following and destroying mosquitoes and pods.

Suddenly, we flew through a cloud of fast circling debris and Zea was desperately zigzagging through little openings that were created and destroyed in just mere seconds. The last one nearly got killed, as I felt the debris scratching over the craft.

I sighed in relief when we were out in the open again.

I turned in my seat in search of Anastasia and Peter’s mosquito, but they were out of sight.

Zea flew us behind one of the moons of the planet, out of sight for the ghastly Roke vampires. She communicated a coded star position to every craft that remained of our fleet and we jumped to hyperspace.

Escaping the madness.

Peter’s POV

Fortunately, the blast had thrown us behind the remains of one of the hives, temporarily out of reach and out of sight of the blue bastards.

I received Zea’s transmission – thank god they survived the explosion – and entered the coordinates that Zea had send for the jump.

I tried to jump.

Nothing.

Again.

Nothing.

How do they freaking do that?

“What is wrong?” Anastasia asked.

“I can’t seem to jump.” I replied.

“Are we damaged?”

“No. It might just be me.”

Anastasia shifted behind me and motioned me to move over.

I disconnected and let her pass, purposely brushing myself against her.

She shoved me off, sending me in a spiral towards the passenger seat.

Thanks, hon. Love you too.

She connected herself to the tubes that were floating free in the liquid and we jumped as soon as she was connected.

F*ck. Now I knew why the passenger seat had seatbelts.

I flung forwards and was pushed hard against the glass dome, the G forces almost flattening me.

I heard Anastasia snickering behind me.

“You think that this is hysterical, don’t you?” I asked her over the intercom.