"Addie?" He shrugged with no sign of embarrassment.

"Just thought it fit. It's kinda a cute nickname, don't you think?" He said, swinging his legs down and closing his book. I had to roll my eyes at his playful tone, unsuccessfully hiding my grin.

"Shut up, Leo."

"You're not denying it." I threw a quill at him, much to his amusement, and a knock came at the door before I could respond.

"Sir Leo? The princess is needed in the parlor immediately." The thinly concealed panic in Nico's voice had us sharing a wordless glance before I closed my textbooks and headed for the door.

When I rushed unceremoniously into the room, I immediately sensed the urgency. Giles turned to me and I froze when I saw who else was in the room. The same black boots, the same unnervingly cool expression, and the same gray eye that seemed to reach into my mind with just one glance.

"Princess Adelaine, King Byron is here on an official visit from Stein and has requested to see the town," Giles said. As the princess, giving tours of the country to political visitors fell under my domain of responsibility; a task that I hadn't expected to be handed to me already. I nodded, dipping into a small curtsy and hopefully hiding any of my hesitation. I licked my lips before responding.

"Of course. It would be my pleasure." I tried to not look directly into King Byron's eye when I raised my head. I wouldn't be able to accomplish much if I was stone, and I still had that literary salon tomorrow—

"Excellent," Giles said, despite the un-excellent detail that this meant I no longer had the next five hours to practice and subsequently freak out about tomorrow's main event. I figured Giles of all people would have realized this, what with the way he'd been discreetly breathing down my neck about it.

"Is there a problem, Princess?" Byron was looking at me, and even though nothing told me he was suspicious, I felt him reading me.

Smiling, I quickly shook my head. "Not at all."

Even though it was just another Thursday at the market, Byron paid close attention to everything, from the florist's stall to the children playing near the steps of the opera house, to the lampposts. It was as if the lively atmosphere was a foreign sight. I even caught his accompanying knight, Albert, staring through his thin glasses at a maypole with reluctant curiosity. As I jumped in and explained what it was, I saw Byron turn and listen. People were slowing down when they walked past us, but most were keeping their distance as we made our way down the street. I understood that. It was hard to not be intimidated by Byron's dignified air, if his dark clothes and gold embellishments weren't a warning sign.

But he didn't even seem to notice the gawkers as we continued on my tour. After passing the large church, visiting some of my favorite stores, and strolling through the gardens, we ended up at a ridge that overlooked most of the town. The sun was beginning to set, and I leaned my elbows on top the brick ledge, resting my chin in my hands. I felt somewhat drained after all that walking and explaining, not to mention the constant strain of coming off as professional and humble without crossing into passive-superior territory. Maintaining that perfect balance was strenuous, and it made me think of how I would probably have to do it again and again.

I felt Byron step beside me, his eye focused on the golden sky. "I imagine this view would be marvelous at night."

"Because of the stars?" I took my chin off my hands to look at him. He nodded. "Are they one of your interests?"