Chapter Three: Wagers and Wonders

Start from the beginning

When Jake just looked at the napkin blankly, I rolled my eyes and pressed it to the scratch where a little bit of blood had dried. He winced but he didn't move away, his hand laying over mine even though the pressure wasn't needed.

I wanted to pull my hand away but Jake had closed his eyes, the deep crease between his brows finally relaxing. I couldn't find it in me to abruptly take that small relief away.

"Where did everyone go?" I asked, trying to ignore the warmth of his hand.

He kept his eyes closed as he answered. "Anna is wrapping up her statement at the station to make sure neither Brandon nor Francis stay for too long there. Charlotte took Mattie downstairs to the cafeteria again to distract him with something to eat."

"And are you up here to distract yourself from a girl you couldn't have for yourself?" The words were out before I could stop them. I just couldn't be bigger than this, could I, momentarily forgetting my own petty insecurities while my father fought for his life.

Jake's eyes snapped open and he frowned at me, his hand finally lowering from mine that I was able to easily pull it back.

"I'm here because I'm worried about Martin," he said. "I love that old man like a father."

I sighed and shook my head. "Sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

I opened my eyes and studied his brooding expression. I didn't want to go down this road but I remembered his face during the party and as much as I hated the reason for it, I couldn't ignore it. "It's just... I was a little worried about you at the wedding. I know you have feelings for Charlotte. It couldn't have been easy for you."

Jake winced. "Charlotte's one hell of a girl. And I just adored her more since meeting her. But she's happy with your brother and I could never resent Brandon for that."

My heart squeezed at the affection in his voice. I couldn't make myself un-hear it but like most blows in life, I kept my footing and took it with dignity. "You don't have to stick around if it's difficult for you to be around her. Go. I'll be fine here."

"I'm not going anywhere, Tess," Jake said with a smile. "If I plan to remain Brandon's best friend, I'll have to get used to having him and Charlotte around."

"Do you just enjoy the torture?"

He chuckled this time. "No. I'm not a rock. There's something bittersweet about seeing them together."

"Why? Because you wish it was you?"

His gaze grew pensive. "In a way, yes. It's not exactly that I look at them and wish I was Brandon. More like I wish I had what they had. They look so damn happy and content."

My eyes widened. "What they have is called love, Jake. Do you remember? It's the thing you avoid like the plague with any woman."

"I know, I know." He rolled his eyes. "I shouldn't have said anything to you. If there's anyone who would gladly throw my past mistakes to my face, it would be you."

He didn't look like he was kidding.

Damn.

"Don't tell me you've gone all soft now," I said, slumping back in my seat. "You're probably just having trouble coping with Brandon suddenly going from happy bachelor to happy husband. You probably thought you'd be both old and gray and still having the time of the day with the ladies."

A small smile curved at the corner of his mouth. "For a while, I did. It's partly why it mystified me how Brandon could've given it all up. But one look at him and Charlotte and I totally understand why. So it made me think."