Chapter 1

"Listen Cole, you need to go kill some deer since your father is gone. You know its your job, I mean you are the man of the house now," mother said.

"Yes mother," I said in a dreary kind of way. I walked to the door of our cottage. On the way i grabbed my hickory bow and arrows and headed out.

After walking out the door i took a deep breath of the fresh mountain air. There was a slight hint of a cut down maple tree i cut down yesterday, such a sweet smell. I walked along the trail my father made when i was three, I would walk it every day until today. The day I would last see it, but right now in my ten year old state I took it for granted. I always hated when mom would just start talking about dad.

Somewhere in the distance a small grunt echoed and then a large doe crossed into the walking trail.

I knew it was my luck since i was a little less then a mile away. Another reason is i didnt have to go up into the mountain which loomed over me in the distance. I was already in a crouched position getting ready to release the arriw in to the air right as a fawn walked into the clearing. I released the string a litle and took in the rare sight since the wolves would kill them.

I sat there probably five minutes before I realized they had seen me, but they didnt react but instead were curious.

The fawn ever so slightly inched tword me. Silent but swiftly galloped at me then stopped three feet away.

I just started to reach out my hand when a blood curtaling scream came out from the direction. I emediately paniced knowing there have been cases of drowner attacks in this area. Emediately I stood up and sprinted.

The tree branches wipped me in the face as I ran. Somewhere i dropped my bow just now realizing. I ripped my hunting knife out if its sheath and gripped it tightly hoping i didnt trip.

I finally reached the house. The door was ripped off its hinges, so i ran in side and what u found was terrible absolutely horrible.

Mother was on the floor in a pool of her own bloowhich slowly dribbled over the pebbles on the ground.

Thats when I realized there were three blueish man like figures crouched over top of her slowly taking their time to eat her. They quickly noticed me and got up and toop some steps then lurched at me.

Quickly i rolled out the door and on to the porch with one right be hind me. Instinctively I ripped out with the knife killing it instantly but that didnt make it any less dangerous because the other two got back up from being knocked over by the one I killed and came after me again.

I started to run one of them grabbed my foot and I fell hitting my head hard on the ground. I tried in a scramble to get back up and my hands slipped from under me. The drowners each took hold of me right as a bolt fron a crossbow caught one right in the forehead and quickly after it the other in the back of the neck.

In a scramble i stood up to see who fired it. A tall man dressed in leather and chain mail, had two swords on his back and had long white hair walked right up too me and said " are you alright?"

Immediately I studered out "y-yes s-sir."

"Is that your mother in there," He asked in a deep but reasuring voice.

I just nodded, the tears just starting to leak down my face

He asked in a little more sympathetic way "do you have anywhere else to go?"

I shooke my head knowing no one one

And so he said "my name is Geralt and welcome the the Witcher school of Wolves."