Alan nodded as he reached out for my hand. "I get it, Bree." He whispered before he began to rub his thumb over my hand. "But if your heart's not in it, then quit. Your time could be better spent elsewhere, and I know your talent would be just as appreciated." A small laugh escaped my lips with his words.

"Okay," I breathed. "I'll quit tomorrow. But not until I finish this article. Not only are you counting on me, but the rest of the class is too. We are partners, after all." I teased before I bumped my shoulder against his.

"Awesome." Alan laughed as he got up off the ground. "Then let's get back to work. I think you can cover the hook of the article while I'll just throw in the facts. This is about college relationships, anyways," Alan reminded.

I nodded before letting out a huff. Although there was a lot of pressure to get this thing done, it felt a lot better having Alan by my side. I didn't know why, but his presence usually had that effect on me. Despite the fact that we'd only been friends for just over a year, he gave me the feeling the everything would be okay. "College relationships, huh?" I sighed as I pulled my laptop back over.

Alan nodded, the man hopping up onto the couch. "Yeah," he called. "We just have to list some specifics and statistics. When the relationships start, how long they last if there's any hope for all those campus lovers out there." Alan listed, gaining a laugh from me.

"Speaking of college relationships," I paused before I glanced back at Alan. "How are you and Zoey? Zac made it seem pretty clear that he didn't want you around her." Alan's smile dropped off his face as my words loomed around in the air.

"Haven't seen her," Alan replied before he reached down and picked up a piece of paper off the ground. "She seemed like she wanted nothing to do with me, either." Alan's voice was soft, almost making it look like he was hurt by all of this. I didn't want to remind him of this, but he was the one who made the problem in the first place.

"Well, have you talked with her?" I prided once more.

"I told you," Alan said sternly. "I haven't even seen her."

"Well, that doesn't mean that you haven't spoken to her," I countered.

"And I haven't. I haven't said one word to her, and she hasn't said a word to me. Happy?" Alan snapped. I rolled my eyes as I turned back to my computer. Alan and Zoey were a lost cause. I was merely trying to see if Zac had followed through and beaten up Alan in some way. I hadn't seen Zac since the fight, so I wouldn't know how he was doing.

"I'm sorry, Alan," I muttered before pulling up a blank document. "I didn't mean to-"

"I know," Alan interrupted. "I just made a mess of things. By sleeping with her, anyways. She had actual feelings for me, and I was too clouded by my feelings for someone else to even know if I felt the same way about her." My heart stopped as he finished speaking, my mind falling instantly to the girl he was speaking of.

"Who could have possibly distracted you from Zoey at a time like that?" I asked, making sure to keep my body turned towards my computer. My face was turning a dark shade of red. I knew exactly who it was, I just wanted to hear him say it.

"She's just," Alan stopped abruptly. I could hear the hesitancy in his voice. I could also make out the sounds of his mouth opening and closing as he contemplated what to tell me and what to hold back. "She's too good for me, that's all. I would never live up to her expectations. It doesn't matter."

"Well, maybe it does to me," I said before I turned back around to look at Alan. That look in his eyes, it was the same one from the first day of school. Weirdly enough, it was the same look I had seen on Chase that night beforehand. It drew me in, it made Alan look vulnerable. That was one light I had never seen Alan in. "It matters who you have feelings for, Alan. You'll never know if she feels the same if you never tell her."