That had been organised not long after they'd started attacking bases. The presence of their two master assassins was sorely missed on the battlefield – as was their company. And Delaney's. But Delaney had a more pressing task at hand she refused to abandon and no one could make it. Her parents and Mano de Inferno would be number one on the Avenger's threat watch if H.Y.D.R.A. didn't exist. The two threats were actually tied. To drag Delaney away would be to put them all in jeopardy.

I know. You're not continuing alone though, right? Even though he knew it was important, it wasn't worth risking Delaney's safety over. Steve didn't know how he'd cope knowing Delaney was in enemy hands. The mere thought made him feel queasy.

Stop worrying. I'll have Evan and Cristina at my side.

Delaney had mentioned the two agents before – her friends, two of the few still trusted after S.H.I.E.L.D.'s downfall.

How's things on your end?

Delaney sighed. Slow. Their base is more heavily fortified than I thought. Spying isn't easy, either.

There's no chance of speeding up the process, right? I miss you.

Steve froze at the admittance; it had slipped out without previous thought of the matter. He ran his hands through his hair. Spoken in his mind, there was no way to hide the yearning and sadness buried deep within the words: emotions that could be hidden in speech, but stood almost naked in thought.

But instead of reacting terribly, Delaney's thoughts breathed back. You too, Steve. The words were quiet, like they'd been whispered. Steve caught the faintest trace of spring, like flowers just starting to bloom – just as new hope bloomed within him. That being together wasn't as impossible as he'd thought. I'd much rather grab a coffee with you at Starbucks than stay here for much longer.

We'll have to celebrate your return.

Maybe we can start with watching the Harry Potter movies. Her voice sparkled like fireworks, like it always did when they discussed her favourite series. You were on Goblet of Fire last, right?

Yes. I'm really enjoying the series so far.

He wondered if he should tell her he thought one of the main reasons he loved the series was because she had. The series was undoubtedly outstanding, but he couldn't deny that every time he turned the page and read more of Harry's story, he wondered if Delaney had reacted the same way he had, if his favourite characters were hers and if they belonged in the same House. Steve wished to ask her that, but thought it would lead in an in-depth discussion that would take far longer than the limited time allocated to them in their current preoccupied schedules. It would definitely be a way to welcome her home.

We'll have to order in, too, she mused. How does Mexican sound?

Steve chuckled. It hadn't taken him long to discover that burritos were one of Delaney's favourite foods – and she had a certain fondness for Mexican and Indian food.

Anything will be perfect, as long as you're back. He meant it. If they ate at cheap fast food restaurants or fancy diners... He wouldn't care, as long as Delaney was sitting opposite him.

I feel the same about you.

Silence fell between them, strained with tension and the faintest trace of excitement, of hope. From both of them.

Nat's calling me, Delaney said hurriedly. Give the others my regards!

Will do. Good luck, Lane.

You too.

And then their connection was silenced, and Steve was left standing in his room, trying to keep Delaney's voice lingering in his mind.

+++

Steve stilled remembered the first time he saw Delaney Esqiuvel.

He'd walked out on to the Helicarrier deck, surrounded by so much technology that was unfamiliar, almost alien, but familiar at the same time. It hadn't been so different to his training and weapons of the army, only more advanced.

That had been the first thing he'd noticed. The second was two women: Natasha, with her short red hair, stern and sharp and fierce. And Delaney, with dark hair and bronze skin, who stood slightly behind Natasha and her hands clasped behind her. At first glance she seemed less of a threat than Natasha, but Steve could see the warrior behind her uncertainty – even if he hadn't read up on her virtually unknown past, he'd known she was a survivor, hardened by experience.

She'd been hostile at first – though she'd been polite, there were shards of ice in her gaze. He thought it had been an instant reaction, a guard around someone she didn't know. He'd tried to make himself approachable and welcoming, and as he and Bruce followed the two ladies into the heart of the Helicarrier.

The two of them had been assigned at once to Germany: Fury had hoped Delaney could end the threat of Loki at once with her power, but sent Steve as backup anyway. The entire journey Delaney had been quiet and spoke only with Natasha, her hair pushed back into a severe braid that had no chance of coming loose and getting in her face. Her arms were folded, and Steve saw the warrior in full force.

"You got this?"

She nodded once – a curt motion. "It should be easy."

But it wasn't. Delaney had tried her power – and Loki hadn't even flinched. In fact, he had laughed and after he'd thrown Steve away, he turned to Delaney and smirked.

"Ah, yes. Hypnosis. I've heard of you. You will be a valuable asset."

Before Steve could intervene the sceptre was on Delaney's heart, and the most horrifying, gut-wrenching scream possible assaulted Steve's ears as Delaney bent over, her hands clutching her head, as though she was being ripped apart from the inside.

"Knock her out, Steve!" Natasha had yelled frantically over the comm. "If her power is in Loki's hands then we're all doomed! A good hit to the head should end his control."

Delaney was no longer screaming, but panting, her hands clutching the roots of her hair and almost yanking her braid out of place. It felt so wrong to hurt her, as vulnerable as she had been then, but Steve knew Natasha was right. He'd just had time to breathe an apology to her before he knocked her out.

She'd woken later on the Quinjet, a soft moan escaping her lips. At once, Steve forgot about Tony Stark and Loki and was by her side. His gaze went first to her eyes, relieved to find no trace of blue within them.

"You okay?" he asked.

She nodded once – a different motion to while they were in New York. More feeble. Slightly dazed. "I think so."

He'd moved her away from Loki and talked with her, trying to ease her distress, and she seemed to grow calmer by the second. The initial hostility in her eyes melted away and was replaced with trust, a new bond opening between them.

When Thor arrived she'd stayed with Nat – he'd hit her hard enough to leave her with a throbbing headache she couldn't fight with. Later, she'd been by his side as they investigated if S.H.I.E.L.D. had H.Y.D.R.A. weaponry and after that, was forced to fight Clint Barton with Natasha, the man who was like a brother to her.

And later, she was with them in New York, wreaking havoc, her eyes had hard as stone as she moved, power blasting from her and knives flashing in her hands. She'd been invaluable, a fierce and destructive as a hurricane. When it finished, she'd joined them at Shawarma, exhausted and weary but otherwise relieved like the rest of them.

And then within the next few days, she'd vanished, taking a bit of Steve's heart with her.

He hadn't realised until then just how important a friend she had become in only a few short days.

And now?

He was pretty sure he loved her.