Sweet Sofie - Highlights

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You're not funny, Sof," he said, smiling.

***

Eric's  phone rang again. It was Angel.

"Shit."

"Hey, what's up?"

"You better hope my sister stops crying before Alex gets home. What the fuck did you do, Eric?"

***

"You're a liar! You were at her house this week, and you were going there again tonight! But you told me you had to cram!"

Her parents rushed in from the kitchen.

"Sofia, what's the matter? You're crying?" Her mom looked up the staircase.

As if his heart could take anymore, Alex walked in.

"What's with all the yelling?" He took one look at Sofia's face, and his expression immediately went hard. He turned to Eric. "What did you do?"

***

College:

"Personally, I don't know anyone else, even high school sweethearts, who have stayed together. It seems like too much."

Sofia peered at her friend. "What do you mean?"

"Well." Naomi sat up. "I'm not saying you will; I'm just saying most couples that start that young eventually start getting bored with the same relationship and start wondering what they missed out on: you know—dating—meeting new people in the real world outside high school."

***

"Are you sure you didn't ask your dad for this internship, so you could get away this summer—from me?"

Eric pulled himself up and leaned on his elbow. "Why would you even ask me that?"

She lay there, looking at the ceiling. "You're not bored with me, are you?"

Eric turned her chin gently to look at him. "Don't ever ask me that again. I can't believe you would even think it."

***

"My dad's always going on about what a small world this is. Just today, I ran into Asia, remember her?"

How could Sofia not remember the neighborhood slut?

"The one that lived up the street?" Sofia's cheeks were suddenly warm. If she weren't mistaken, she'd heard a few things about Eric and Asia way back in the beginning of high school. "Does she still dress like a whore?"

***

The last time she'd seen him was just before he left for the Marines years ago. He looked different—more mature. He smiled at her. "Brandon?" She stood up. "When did you get back?"

She couldn't get over how different he looked. He was in much better shape than when he'd left. He looked so put together. The despondency in his eyes was gone too.

He was taller and much more secure, more distinguished somehow.

***

The very next day, Brandon was out there in his running shorts and a tank top.

He ran up to her as soon as he saw her. "Hey."

"Hey." The first thing she noticed was a tattoo on his upper arm, but she didn't say anything. Something about it being on his big, muscular, sweaty arm made looking at it feel wrong.