| 21. the final heist

Start from the beginning

The horsemen all showed their love by squeezing each other in the last group hug that they will ever have together for a while. All four heads touched in the middle as the horsemen looked down and shut their eyes, capturing the last moments as a family.

Pulling apart, the horsemen remained hand locked with each other and looked at the platform in front of them.

"You ready?" Henley asked all of them. Maeve nodded and took the first step onto the platform. "I'm ready."

The others did the same, taking the leap of faith as they were raised upwards to the roof. Maeve could hear the roar of the crowd and see the lights flickering from the end of the dark tunnel.

They finally reached the top, the lights beaming around them. The people around them were shouting their names in excitement and roaring to show the love that they all had for the horsemen and their intentions.

"Hello New York!" Maeve shouted, waving to everyone on the roof.

"Thank you for the magic." Henley smiled at the crowd. "And thank you for being such an incredible and dedicated audience."

"But unfortunately, like all good things," Maeve looked at the three people beside her. "It must come to an end."

"So we would like to start our show tonight..." Danny trailed off, not wanting to believe that it's over.

"By saying goodbye."

The cheers of the crowd grew louder for them as Agent Rhodes and Agent Dray entered the rooftop that they were performing on. Maeve looked at Merritt, giving him a nod saying that they needed to appear on the other stage.

"All we wanted was to bring the world to the magic show." Henley said. Maeve looked at her and smiled before grabbing her hand once more. "And thereby bring a little magic back to the world."

Danny grabbed onto Maeve's other hand as Henley grabbed Merritt's. With one shine of bright light, they disappeared from the stage they were once on.

A few seconds later, bright lights shot up from the other stage and the horsemen reappeared with smirking faces. The crowd gasped in surprise at their little teleportation trick. Maeve smiled at all of their shocked faces.

"This has been one hell of a ride for all of us." Merritt explained. "But it's time for us to disappear."

"Goodnight, New York."

"And thank you for believing in us." Maeve gave the crowd one last wave. "You'll see us again really soon."

Giving Danny a nod, Maeve sprinted to her left. The four horsemen ran across the stage they were on, trying to get to the edge in time for their illusion.

Maeve grabbed Henley's hand before they both leaped off of the side of the building.

The four magicians immediately disappeared, fake money with their faces taking their place as it rained down on the people watching their performance.

While the FBI agent were cursing about how they lost them, the four horsemen were running on the rooftop besides 5 Pointz.

Maeve felt the adrenaline coursing through her veins as she ran towards the subway tracks. The other horsemen around her did the same.

Maeve stopped at the edge of the roof and looked down; big mistake. The distance was longer than the jump that the horsemen did from the 5 Pointz stage. Maeve's fear of heights started seeping slowly into her mind.

Danny stopped as well, looking at her. "We have to go. C'mon." He leaped down to the ground, landing on his feet. Danny turned back around and looked up at Maeve, holding his arms out. "I'll catch you."

Merritt and Henley were already waiting patiently besides Danny. Maeve closed her eyes, slowly inhaling and exhaling. When she opened them again, she knew what she had to do. With all her might, Maeve leaped off of the building and fell.

Hands grasped onto her waist and helped lower her down safely. Once everyone was on the ground, they started sprinting to the next subway station that will take them to Times Square.

Maeve initially thought, 'Why Times Square?' But Henley said that it was to see if their plan worked. 'Worked' meaning that they all became famous.

5 Pointz wasn't that far from Times Square, so it only took them about 5 minutes on the subway.

After the subway train stopped, the four horsemen rushed out and up the stairs of the underground stairwell.

They came just in time because the news just started taking over the billboard screens. The Five Horsemen's name were on every single story.

Images of their last performance played over and over again. Henley nudged Maeve excitedly as she herself watched the videos of 5 Pointz. Danny didn't show it, but he was just as excited as anyone else.

The honking of horns and people walking past surrounded Maeve as she watched as the horsemen's legacy unfolded.

"Wow." She breathed. "If only Jack could see this."

Danny gave Henley and Merritt sad glances while Maeve was busy looking at the bright lights and busy streets of New York City.

As if in cue, Danny's phone buzzes in his pocket. He took it out to see who it was.

Caller ID:Jack Wilder

Danny immediately holds the phone up to his hear, making sure that Maeve didn't see who it was. "Hey mom."

"What the hell?"

"I miss you too." Danny gave an awkward laugh as he looked over his shoulder to check if Maeve was watching. When the coast was clear, he lowered his voice to speak. "Why are you calling now? We agreed that-"

"I know." Jack sighed from the phone. "But I need to know how she's doing."

"You'll see her in less than an hour. Half if you stop trying to call me."

"I'm just scared." Danny heard Jack's voice stutter. He sighed, feeling sympathetic for him. "We'll be there soon. Hang tight."

Ending the phone call, Maeve looked at him and smiled.

"Yeah." Danny gave her a small smile in return. "If only."