| 21. the final heist

Start from the beginning

"Daniel?" Merritt was the first to break the silence. "As our, let's call it, 'year of living dangerously' comes to a close," Maeve bit her lip, a smile already slowly forming on her face just waiting for what Merritt was going to say.

"In a rare moment of vulnerability, I'd like to express a sentiment to you about our relationship."

"Okay." Danny looked at him and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Well, when I first met you, I thought you were kind of a......" Merritt trailed off. "A dick."

"Oh." Danny let out a small laugh.

Henley couldn't help but laugh as well. "And?"

Merritt looked in between the two confused. "Oh, no. That's it."

Maeve shook her head, the smile that made its way to her face stayed as she looked down at her shoes.

"That's very nice." Danny smirked. "I'm touched.

"Yeah just from the heart." Merritt added, placing his hands over his chest.

"I didn't say where I was touched."

"Oh, you." Merritt pretended to blush and slightly shake his head.

Maeve let out a little laugh at this sad, but somewhat nice 'end of the year' goodbye they were sharing.

"Oh god. What are we gonna do when this is over?" Henley spoke up.

Danny shrugged. "We're on our own. Our instructions run out after the show."

"No matter what happens, I just want to say that this has been the greatest year I have ever had." Maeve looked up at the three who grew close to her. "Even if we lost someone on the way."

The other three horsemen exchanged glances, Maeve eyeing them strangely when she noticed it.

"Even if there is no eye and we were completely played and end up in jail for the next 20 years," Henley looked at the three magicians. "I just want to let you all know that-"

"I know." Danny looked at her and smiled. "Me too."

"Oooh," Merritt turned around. "A little too sentimental for me."

"C'mon Merritt." Maeve chuckled. "You love us. Admit it."

"That's a lie."

When the elevator stopped, they all got out and walked over to the rising platform that would lead them up to the roof.

The four magicians stopped in front of it, visualizing in their minds what would happen after they took the last step to finish their initiation for the Eye.

Maeve looked around at her new family, watching as they all wandered in their own train of thought. "I love you guys." She breathed, her heart aching from the thought of leaving them.

Danny looked at Maeve with a smile, wrapping one of his arms around her shoulders. Henley wrapped her arms around Maeve's waist as Merritt walked over to join the group.