| 15. escaping the feds

Start from the beginning

When the agent was distracted, Maeve side kicked him. He fell over long enough for Maeve to pop her shoulder in and out. Doing this, she moved her right arm to the front so that her handcuffed hand were in front of her rather than behind.

Maeve saw the agent try get up again. His hand flew to his walkie talkie. "I need back up-" The agent couldn't finish his sentence. Maeve grabbed a chair and smashed it into his head, rendering him unconscious.

Maeve dropped the chair and took of running to the house. She didn't see all of the horsemen staring at her with mouths dropped to the floor.

Weaving through the people, she went into the secret doorway that Danny told them about before the show. It was also in the plans from the Eye gave to help them escape. It led her to the back alleyway where everyone else was waiting for her.

When Maeve got there, she saw the other four beside a cop car. Jack was the first to notice her. Maeve almost didn't recognize him because he was wearing a cop uniform with the sunglasses covering his face.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked. He ran over to check her face for any bruises. Maeve broke away from his grasp and held up her cuffed hands. "You wouldn't not believe what I just did."

"Oh believe me." Henley spoke up. She was leaning her back on the cop car. "We saw all of it."

"Badass." Merritt commented. "I didn't know you had it in you." Maeve shrugged, a blush creeping onto her cheeks. She looked around at the four of them. "So what now?"

"Now," Merritt opened the car door for Maeve. "We get in."

Everyone crammed into the stolen cop car with Jack in the driver's seat, since he was disguised as a police man. They sped away to a jet that will take them to their apartment in New York.

They drove for about half an hour before stopping at an abandoned building. "The plane is on the roof." Danny said as they made their way up the fire escape.

Maeve walked up next to him, already heavily breathing from the seven flights of stairs. She never liked them. "I still don't get how you got a private jet without anyone noticing."

Danny gave her a smirk. "I didn't." They reached the top, the familiar jet ready to take off with their things packed inside.

Maeve gaped and turned around to look at him. "You stole Arty's jet?"

"Uh, no." Danny held up his finger. "I'm borrowing it."

"I guess we only left Art the rolls."

"Whatever. Whose going to fly this thing anyway?"

Getting into the private jet, they all hoped to make it to the apartment and be able to burn any evidence they had. It took them a few hours to get back to New York.

The guilt was eating everyone alive as the date of the plan neared. Jack looked down at Maeve's peaceful state; her head gently laid on his lap as she slept.

He brushed away a few strands of hair away from her face. Jack started running his fingers through her soft brown hair, playing with it.

He had Maeve in the back room of the plane as she slept due to late nights planning. The other horsemen sat together on the other side in silence, thinking about the near future.

"We have to be careful."

Everyone turned to Henley. She looked at the two boys in front of her that quickly became her family. "Tonight was too close."

Danny sighed. "If this is about Maeve-"

"This is about Maeve." Henley raised her voice. "Everything seems to be about Maeve because of how much we put her in jeopardy."

Danny shushed her. "Did you see how she handled herself tonight? She can take care of herself."

"She's still the youngest out of all of us." Merritt reminded him.

"You all need to stop treating her like a child!" Danny stood up in his seat, irritated. He clenched his fists. "She isn't 5. She is 21 years old and one of the strongest people I have ever seen."

Merritt stood up as well, towering over Danny. "You don't know her like the rest of us, Atlas." Jack saw the commotion and quickly came over.

He stood in between them. "Stop! No fighting about this while Maeve is here." Danny and Merritt glared at each other before settling down on opposite sides of the plane.

Henley placed her head in her hands, the guilt becoming too much for her to handle. Jack sat dow next to her and placed his hand on her back, rubbing comfortingly.

"They're just nervous." He assured her. "They both want the best for her, including you and me."

Henley raised her head and nodded. The tension in the plane could have been detected by anyone. The horsemen got to fighting with each other once again.

Let's just hope it's not enough to break them apart.