06|MIDNIGHT MAHEM

Start from the beginning

"What about you?" Vic snatched her attention, already on her fourth martini. "What's your story?"

"I don't have one." Ally replied gingerly.

"Sure you do," Vic's lip grazed her glass. "Do we need to get another drink in you before you spill?"

"I'm already tipsy as it is, I'm alright," Ally replied honestly, only realizing the extent of her choice to drink silently. "I'm just a girl from Brooklyn."

"That sure isn't it," Vic pushed. "Come on."

"Alright, alright," she had had enough. "I'm a nurse for the army. I beat out a few other people to be in the position I am in. It's nothing special, I just tend wounds."

"That is special," Leeroy spoke up. "If it weren't for you nurses, us men wouldn't be able to return to the battleground."

Ally blushed, finally smiling for the first time since they got to the diner. "I'm just doing my job sir."

Another lie. How many more could she tell? Jojo and William did this for a living, they lied about who they were and what they did on a regular basis. Was it going to get easier? She sure hoped so.

Bucky lifted his glass. "To Ally."

In sync, everyone around their table did the same and repeated. "To Ally."

As the night drew on, each drink offered seemed like a better and better idea. The jokes got funnier and Ally found herself to be a sudden comedian. This wasn't her first time rather drunk, she was the city heartbreaker. Some people went to a party just to try their luck with Alchemy Jones. She was witty and cunning sober but when she was drunk, everything was increased.

Steve, being the sane and honest man he always was, left halfway. Kissing Ally on the cheek and shaking hands with Leeroy, he left without another word. He didn't like Vic that much so he just smiled at her. He also didn't like the idea of the type of person he could be while alcohol coursed through his veins and for that reason, he went to try his luck for the war.

"We should get going Ally," Bucky muttered, his eyes still glued to Vic's green eyes. "Kepler probably wants his car."

Ally rolled her eyes, disgusted at the way Vic's hand was on Bucky's thigh and he didn't mind it at all. Vic truly was stunning. Five foot four, tan and a face cut right from the pages of a magazine. It seemed that Vic's face and some cleavage could get her anything and anyone.

"Are you done staring or can we go?" Ally huffed, stumbling out of her seat.

"Give him a second sweetheart," Vic smirked, unaware of Ally's hidden jealousy. "He likes what he sees."

"I don't," Ally found herself saying, too drunk to care what she had said. "I'll be in the car."

The car ride home was silent but safe. Bucky knew his way to the Jones' residence like the back of his hand. He knew Ally was upset with him and had the slightest hint why. He didn't want to push anything or question anything while they were both in an uneasy state. He liked Vic. She was charming, strong and fun to talk to. He liked Vic but he loved Ally. She and Steve were his everything, and he wasn't going to let some drunken flirting stop that from happening.

He helped her out of the car, leading the way to the porch. All the lights were off and the only light was coming from the moon, almost completely hidden by the rain clouds.

"I had a good night doll, I hope you did as well," he rubbed the side of his neck, nervous she'd cry or something. "I saw you laughing a lot so I'd like to assume you did."

Ally shook her head, knowing she'd have a hangover the next morning. "It was alright."

After a few moments of silence, Bucky spoke. "I gotta tell you something Ally, but you can't get mad."

"No promises."

"I signed up for the war," his usual steady gaze flickered from her to his feet. "I get my orders on Friday."

"What?" Is all she could say, unable to find the right words. "You've done training and everything?"

"Here and there," he admits uneasily. "Camp McCoy, I ranked as a Sergeant Ally. I was going to tell you but the night took a turn for the worse."

"No kidding," she uttered. "I can't stop you now."

He laughed slightly. "No you can't doll."

A drop of water splashed her nose and she realized she had to say something before it started to pour. "I guess I should tell you something to then, so we are even."

Bucky watched her, feeling a pang of guilt for flirting with Vic. He questioned what he saw in her that he couldn't see in Ally. She was right in front of him and she looked stunning. He hated himself for it but more than ever, he wanted to kiss her and finally seal the deal.

"I'm not a regular nurse," she stumbled with her words, trying to say everything right. "I'm apart of–"

She became distracted by the rain drenching Bucky's hair. His expression was serious and before she knew it, the rain from the sky ran down their faces and stopped where their lips met. Instead of stepping away from the long-awaited intensity, it brought them to a new story. Bucky pushed his lips in more firmly and the wave that ran through Ally was overwhelmingly fantastic, making her head swim as she pulled back from his blue-eyed face.

"Goodnight Bucky," she muttered, walking into her house and closing the door without looking back at him. She slid against the door and waited for his footsteps to disappear into the distance before she muttered. "Shit."

His expression was serious and before she knew it, the rain from the sky ran down their faces and stopped where their lips met