Better Sooner than Later

The anime is coming to an end. And we will all be waiting for the next season.

Supposedly, this was a contest entry for Fanfiction. And I got busy with journalism stuffs and unable to post it on time =____= Currently posted this during our journalism training.

Pretty short...

******

Nijiiro Days-Rainbow Days

Hashiba Natsuki x Kobayakawa Anna

Title: Better Sooner than Later

Down the single white frost landing on the brunette's nose. It was the last snow to fall from the sky. Anna could feel the icy sensation traveling down to her cheeks. It has been a few days since Natsuki has kissed her. It has been a few days that she had been bothered by it.

She touched her lips, only to feel it so crisp in the cold morning. She forgot to apply her lipbalm to protect it from the weather. None of those right now worried her.

Students walked towards the gate of the school. Anna is one of those students. Whilst the slow paced walking of the students, Anna walked briskly to class. In the hallway, she passed by the one classroom that sent her heart twisting. She didn't know why.

As usual. She didn't find him in the classroom. Natsuki arrives a little bit later than her.

It is the time everyone goes back to school in the wintery days. Spring will be there to greet them. But for Anna, this is the time for her to know the reasons behind why everything has happened.

She sighed heavily and went forward to her classroom. All she could hear is her ragged breathing and the pounding heart in her chest. Around her were the familiar faces of her classmates, and most of all, Mari. Her friend smiled at her and hugged her with all her might.

But the smile of her friend doesn't make her unanswered questions go away.

Before class would start, Anna would not miss the oppurtunity and chance to ask Natsuki about that. Surely. But no, as she waited outside his room... the bell for class started to ring. There she saw him running in the hallway to go to his class so he could come in before the teacher arrives.

Anna just closed her eyes and went to her own class.

It was in the nick of time just as the teacher went inside the room when Anna sat down on her seat. Why are the teachers late? There has been a meeting.

On and on the teacher goes. Hour after hour, the class changes its subject so is the teacher.

The bell rang loudly again, making Anna quite dizzy to the sound. Lunch. That's what it rang for. But what is the meeting of  her and Natsuki on that Christmas day for?

She could still remember it. So fresh in the core of her memory.

She was working on that day. In her female Santa Claus costume, she saw him. Yes, she saw him. Crying or was it he was having a cold that's why he was sniffing. Then, she handed him a pack of tissue.

She couldn't help it, but gave him the tissue. She felt so pitiful back then.

And also that day, Anna received the scarf. The scarf that was meant for his ex-girlfriend. Now, she wears that scarf to warm her in her winter days.

"Anna, I'm going to buy myself some food," Mari said and took off to get her snack.

Anna just nodded at her.

Time passed quite quickly for Anna. The only lunch she ate is the bun Mari bought for her. The girl's friend was worried about her not eating lunch.

It was the same, class went by. When class ended, she set forth to find Natsuki.

Her efforts of finding Natsuki went down the drain. He was busy. Helping out his class. She didn't want to bother him.

So she left...

It was home. Anna was at home. She drank a glass of water to drown her questions. She could feel it. She could feel that fate is driving her away from Natsuki. All she want are answers. Back then, she always avoided him and he would create ways just to be able to talk to her.

She felt it now. She felt how Natsuki felt when she was avoiding him. But he wasn't avoiding her. There was an unknown force that is keeping her apart from Natsuki.

The snow melts. The sakura trees begin to bloom and lets its flower fall to the earth.

She finally realized it. She was in love with the boy.

Too late. Everything is gone in a split second. Goodbye. All Anna came to love, were all diminished to what's only left, Mari.

But for Natsuki, it was his realization that he still loved his ex-girlfriend.

Her heart aches like someone is pounding on it vigorously. She walked through the crowded hallway of her school filled with murmurs. Everything on her sight is blurry. Except for a pair.

Natsuki's love for his old flame was visible in his eyes. She could hear the sound of her footsteps but not the voices that reached several staircases.

She ran and ran until she came to the rooftop. Wind was flowing making her hair scatter unto her face. Once in a while, there would be a stray sakura petal landing on the rooftop.

So she wept to put all the feelings into misery. Misery of what she has done. Then this turns to regret. If only she has realized this sooner, this wouldn't have happened.

- - - E N D - - -