Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

I sighed as I looked at the entrance of Cross Academy. My name is Nozomi Yuhara and my family died when I was a child, meaning... I don't have any silblings nor relatives left. The only close and alive friend I have is Kuran Kaname. Ever since the night of the attack on my family, I have had nightmares every night when I sleep. So I decided to transfer into Cross Academy, where Kaname was.

The doors of Cross Academy opened slowly and I saw Kaname, walking slowing towards me.

''Kaname." I smiled fondly at him as he smiled back.

''Nozomi. How have you been over these few years?'' He asked me, reaching for my hand to hold gently in his as he brought it up to kiss the back of it.

''Not good actually," I laughed, not bothering to put up a lie. His smile disappered from his face before asking, "Has something been bothering you?"

''Nightmares every night,'' I replied curtly. "But I'm okay. I'm in control of my emotions so I'll be fine."

''Oh. I'm sure you'll be fine here in Cross Academy. I can keep watch over you as well so it's beneficial for you and for me since I get to catch up with you," He assured with a smile as he led me to the headmaster's office. He knocked and went in, after holding the door for me like a gentleman, of course. ''Headmaster. This is Yuhara Nozomi." The headmaster nodded at me as I gave a 90 degrees bow.

''Ahh, I see! Kaname has been talking about your transfer for a few days now,'' He chuckled. After a bit more small talk and a cup of tea plus some biscuits, the headmaster told me to leave my bags in his office after a short chat and that he would send someone to bring it to the dorm. I left the headmaster's office with Kaname by my side.
------------
As he led me to the Moon dormitory, we talked for a while before out of the blue, I felt an unwanted presence.

Could it be? A level E Vampire... In the Academy?

Kaname seemed to have sensed it too as he stopped in his tracks. The level E briefly appeared beside me and tried to grab me by my arm. However, I stepped to the side in a mere second before giving him a soild punch in the gut.

''Nice reflexes. You've gotten bett..." ''Do you want to finish him off?'' I asked, cutting him off.

''Of course,'' He walked towards the level E and pierced the level E in the heart using his hand. ''Enjoy your stay in oblivion," He growls, pulling his hand out with an unpleasant squishing sound. I averted my eyes, not wanting to see anymore of the gruesome corpse. ''My deepest apologies for the unpleasant sight," He flicks his hand, scattering the blood droplets across the floor. "Let's set you settled in before I head off to check on the security.'' He smiled serenely, walking back towards me. I gazed into his handsome dark brown eyes as I found myself smiling back at him slowly.

Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I nodded and replied, ''It's no problem. I got used to surprises, especially unpleasant ones. Although, you should get the security around here checked."

"Of course, the number of abnormalities have been surging throughout the past few months. I'll make sure to take the necessary steps to ensure this place will remain a safe haven for our students." He assured, taking off his blood-stained blazer and concealing his bloodied hand with it.

As we passed through the gates leading to the dorms, a boy that looked a little older then me stood before us. ''Ah, Senri. What good timing, let me introduce you,'' Kaname looked at the mahogany hair boy with an emotionless expression.'' Nozomi, this is..."

''Senri Shiki, yes I know,'' I finished.

Although Shiki didn't show any expression, a hint of surprise was just barely evident in his eyes.

''I'm not dumb, you know, I saw your mother a few times back then when I was younger, she was quite the amazing actress," I smiled at the slight nostalgia. "That was the period I got shut into the house though..." I muttered, sighing softly at the bitter-sweet memory. Time seemed to stop as I closed my eyes for a few moments before opening them again. There was a short period of silence before Kaname spoke up.

"Shiki, I have some matters to attend to, could you please show Nozomi to her room? It's just the first one on the right corridor. Also..." He leaned in onto Shiki and whispered something into his ear softly, so softly till the point I couldn't even pick it up with my sharp hearing.

I fidgeted, awkward, as Shiki's eyes flit to mine momentarily, probably due to whatever Kaname was whispering to him about. ''Alright, I assigned Shiki to be your temporary 'tour guide' to this Academy. My deepest apologises as I have more council matters to attend to, so unfortunately, I cannot attend to you myself," He frowned. "I will make it up to you; perhaps, tomorrow. How about dinner in the gardens?"

Once again, I smiled reassuringly and gave a slight nod. "Thank you for your time, I look forward to dinner with you. I'm sure Shiki will be a good tour guide, you had better deal with those matters first," I finished, feeling just a tad disappointed.

"Alright. I shall take my leave." He nodded at Shiki before walking off. I waited till he was out of sight before turning on my heel to look at Shiki.

"So, where to?"