Ch. 7

"Glad to see you made it to the dining room okay." Wilford smirked at me.

"Ha-ha..." I mocked. "Your brother... he's creepy." I said.

Wilford dropped his plate. "What do you mean? What did he do?"

"I don't know... he was just talking to me..." I said.

"What'd he say?"

"Just something about how you guys are connected and that he could tell if we do anything."

Wilford rolled his eyes, "He's just being a creep, love." He wrapped his arms around me and pressed a kiss to my cheek.

"What did you mean, last night, when you told me I'd done enough?" I asked, moving my hand up to the side of his head.

He drew a sharp breath. "Nothing, darling. I was just irritated, and I lashed out..." He responded.

"But what did you mean by it?" I asked.

"I meant that you had done enough... going out of your room and meeting him." He said.

"But why?"

"I told you why. I'm scared that he'll take you away from me." He said. "And I don't want that."

"Its not going to happen, Wilford." I said.

"He will at least try." He said.

"Then protect me..." I said.

"Always..." He said. "Now get sit down, little girl. It's breakfast time." He said.

"What are we having?" I asked.

"Pancakes!" He cried cheerfully. "But I think I burned them..."

I giggled and lifted up the paper towel that covered a plate. A stack of brown pancakes. "Only slightly. They should still be good." I said.

He pouted as he watched me try one.

I scrunched my face as the bitter taste washed over my mouth. "Its... it's very..." I looked at him. "Crispy..." I said.

He laughed.

"Is my brother poisoning you with his horrid cooking?" Another deep voice chimed through the room. It laughed. "Of course he is. He was never a good cook."

"Oh shut it, Dark. Your brother is fine..." I said.

"It wouldn't be the first time he poisoned someone, though."

I looked over at Wilford, who had turned pale. "What does he mean?" I asked.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Dark, you need to shut up." Wilford said.

"With his cooking, of course." Dark stepped in completely. He wore a smug smirk.

I rolled my eyes. "He's not that bad, Dark!" I said. I took another bite of the burnt pancake. I chewed on it, and smiled at Wilford who smiled back at me.

"Thank you, darling." He said. He kissed my temple before turning and walking back into the kitchen, in which I took the opportunity to spit the pancake out into a napkin. "Okay, Dark... why did you say that? Why did he turn pale?"

"He hasn't told you anything. And to think... he said he actually trusts people now..." Dark scoffed.

I glared at him. "Answer the question."

"Wilford has quite a past... as do most of us..." He explained.

"Can you elaborate on that?"

"Oh, sweety... like I'd tell you anything if that dimwit won't."

"Don't you dare call him that!" I hissed.

"Oh what will you do, sweetheart?" He growled. "I'm a demon..."

"A demon?" I asked, confused.

"Yes. Wilford and I aren't just brothers. We're figments of this one man's imagination." He explained.

"But... then... how-?"

"We came to life, sweet cheeks."

"Would you stop with all these pet names!?" I yelled.

"That would suit you, though. My little pet."

"Don't you dare..." I backed away from him. "S-so... if you're telling the truth... Wilford isn't supposed to be real?"

"Oh, but he's as real as he'll ever be."

"Who's imagination?" I asked.

"Mark's."

"But you said he was your brother."

"Yes, and quite an annoying little pest." He looked bored as he examined his nails.

"What's Wilford's past like?" I asked.

"Wilford was created as a joke. He supposedly 'killed' Mark in his first appearance as a talk show host. And Wilford has this sort of murderous side..." Dark said. "People took it as a joke at first... but then he started going by other names, and no one ever caught him. That pink mustache is detachable for a reason..."

"Wilford... Wilford is a murderer?" I clutched onto the table.

"Used to be. I don't know if he still is." Dark shrugged.

I looked towards the door where Wilford left, raising my hand t my mouth. "Oh my gosh. I think I'm going to be sick."

Dark chuckled.

"Wait... how do I know you're not lying?" I asked.

He shrugged again. "You don't have to believe me. Take my word if you want, or don't. But don't come crawling to me or Mark when Wilford decides he wants to come after you with a butcher knife or something."

"Don't say that!" I yelled. "He wouldn't!"

"I wouldn't say that... he does have a pretty bad temper. So I'd be careful if I were you."

"Why do you care?" I asked, giving him a suspicious look.

"All of the "ipliers" feel the same way about you, because we're connected. So we all care about you." He reached a hand out and stroked my cheek.

I was frozen in fear.

Wilford walked in right at that moment, and froze in the doorway. Once he saw Dark's hand on my skin, he raced over and punched Dark in the face.

I jumped, and backed up a little more.

Wilford turned to me and walked closer.

"Wilford, I-I'm s-sorry!" I stuttered, backing away, hitting a wall in the process. I flinched and looked away.

"Charlotte?" He asked softly.

I opened my eyes and looked at him.

"What did he tell you?" He asked. "I'm so sorry!" He said, pulling me into a tight hug.

I tensed, and I could see Dark giving me a pity look from over Wilford's shoulder. I glared at him before turning my head and firmly pressing my lips onto Wilford's, catching both off guard.

Dark left with a grunt.

I pulled away shortly after.

"What was that about?" Wilford asked.

I sat down, my shaking knees were about to give out. "W-Wilford, you need to talk to me..." I said.

His eyes widened as he sat down.