Chapter 3 - Beach

True enough, what happened last night had made headlines in the morning. Pictures of Zaan and I were all over the news. There was even a news anchor who started off with "Never seen Zaan Reid's smile? Well now the world knows that he's serious about settling down with Harper Burns." While some were intrigue by Zaan's smile, others were more focused on who his fiance is. There were multiple conspiracies about who I am as the world was unaware that the Burns family had a daughter.

Beth and I shared some laughs at their theories and we were surprised to know that Zaan has a few fangirls who were utterly crushed by the news. Beth and I spent the morning watching every news channel just to see what they were saying. Some had zoomed in on my engagement ring, saying how Zaan really knew how to keep a woman happy. While the media congratulated us, some were very suspicious and even going so far as to criticise the ring size. A few news channels even speculated that this was a shotgun marriage.

"Enjoying my latest gossips?" Zaan asked as he entered the living room wearing casual clothes.

From his attire, I'm guessing that he's most likely not going to work today.

"Yes. Apparently the world is shocked at the earth shattering smile you gave." I replied, sarcastically.

Although he tried not to react to my reply, I noticed the slight curve of his lips. I could tell that he was amused at my reply. He planted himself next to me and placed his attention on the television screen. I guess he was pretty interested in what the media had to say about him.

"I've never watched any of my gossips before," he admitted.

"That's most probably because you're a nerd who sticks his nose in a laptop or a phone all day," I teased.

"Well, if you hadn't noticed, my job pretty much requires me to do that," he replied with a slight hint of amusement.

As the advertisements came to an end, we redirected our attention to the screen, wanting to know what else the media had to say about us.

"Who is Zaan Reid's fiance? How are we so sure that this is not just a hoax or a publicity stunt? We've never caught them out on a date before and suddenly she appears to the charity event with a ring on. Doesn't that sound fishy? Well folks, this is my opinion on it." The lady from the gossip news said, insinuating that there is more than meets the eye.

I slowly turned my head to Zaan who seemed to be in deep thought. Beth too seemed to be planning on the next step we should take.

"I think she just gave you the programme of the day." Beth pointed out.

Zaan and I shared a look with one another. Programme? What programme?

"Go out on a date and let the reporters take pictures of the two of you." Beth said.

I nodded in response to Beth's idea. The more pictures we have, the more the public will be assured of the two of us.

"Then I shall get changed." I said and headed up to the room.

Once in the room, I changed into a pair of black jeans, a plain white top and a black baseball jacket. Not knowing where Zaan planned to take go, I decided to dress casually. Once I was down dressing, I stared at the rack of shoes in the closet. I wondered if I should wear boots or a pair of sneakers. Not wanting to look to casual, I decided on the pair of heeled boots to complete my look.

After putting on the boots, I tied my hair up into a ponytail and grabbed my sunglasses as it was awfully bright outside. As I was grabbing my bag from the rack, I ended up staring at the engagement ring and sadness washed over me in an instant.