Chapter 2 - Necklace

I was rudely awakened by Zaan's deafening alarm. I slowly got up and looked at the bedside table to check the time. It was 4 am in the morning, sunrise was still a good three hours away. Why does he get up this early? His alarm continued to blare whilst he slept soundly. His ears must've gotten accustomed to the sound that he could easily ignore it and continue sleeping.

I took the pillow between us and used it to cover my ears but it didn't work. In fact, I was getting even more irritated by the sound. I was tired from the lack of sleep I got the previous night and his alarm just had to wake me. For someone who loves silence, his alarm sure knows how to wake the whole house.

The alarm went on and on until it finally snoozed on its own. I wondered if I should wake him up. If I didn't and head back to sleep, I wondered if he would hold it against me? Seeing as how I didn't want to fall victim to his sour mood, I decided to wake him gently. I turned and softly tapped his back, in an attempt to wake him. He merely shrugged me away and continued with his sleep. I huffed at how stubborn he was being. Since being gentle wasn't working, I decided to try a bit harder.

I grabbed his shoulder and started shaking him violently.

"Zaan, wake up!" I yelled at him.

"Stop it! What are you doing?" He shouted, annoyed at the fact that I woke him.

"Your alarm rang. Shouldn't you be getting up?" I retorted.

He gave me a glare before pushing the quilt away and getting up. He checked the clock by his bedside and switched the alarm off. He got off the bed and headed straight to the toilet. If his habits were any indication, I'm sure he's someone who values cleanliness. As I heard the shower running, I shut my eyes and decided to go back to sleep only to be interrupted a few minutes later by a constantly huffing and sighing Zaan.

I opened my eyes to see him struggling with his tie. Is this why he gets up early every day? Just so he can take his time doing his own tie? I thought back to the day I first met him and noticed how his tie was a bit ruffled, probably from the number of times he tried tying it. I slid off the bed and decided to help him with his trouble.

"Zaan, I can help you with that," I offered.

Before he could reject my help, I grabbed his tie and slowly started tying the tie around his collar. It was quite hard to focus with him staring at me the whole time but in less than two minutes, I was done. I tightened the tie on his collar and helped him button up his suit jacket before dusting his shoulders. I did it out of habit since I always helped my grandfather with his tie. As he got older, the more difficult it was for him to tie his tie and button his jacket.

"There you go. Isn't that nice?" I commented and smiled, proud of my work.

He cleared his throat to get my attention and I looked up only to find his eyes directly above mine. When did we get so close? His breath was fanning my forehead and my heartbeat started increasing. At this point, it would be a miracle if he didn't hear my heart pounding in my chest.

"Thank you." He said softly before moving away from me.

I was stunned and frozen at the spot. I still couldn't recover from having stood so close to him but, I was also taken aback by his thanks.

"You should get some more rest before heading down for breakfast," he said before closing the door behind him.

Once he left, I brought my palms to my cheeks to check my temperature. The room started feeling warmer than usual and I'm pretty sure I was blushing. Embarrassment started to creep up onto me as I realized he must've seen me blush. With my heart rate up and my eyes wide awake, I had completely lost my desire to sleep. Seeing as how I had some time to kill before breakfast, I decided to make the bed and rearrange my items.