"Ah...um..."you smiled awkwardly, your attentions suddenly snapping back and reminding you of the enormity of what lay before you

"You look simply beautiful Miss... You'll fit right in" he smiled gently sensing your trepidation "now go and prove your worth to these people" he said with encouragement

With a nervous nod you caught the anxious breath that annoyingly tugged deep inside your gut and as you raggedly exhaled, you gathered a sense of composure. Focused and lucid, your eyes lifted, noting the over abundance of Blighters close by and you readied yourself for the task ahead

"Thank you" you sighed with a gentle smile before taking the first tentative steps towards the huge courtyard where everyone had gathered.

With the soft musings from the nearby string quartet wafting over the quietened chatter to your location, you approached the overtly opulent gathering.

Taking a moment on the periphery, your eyes flitted quickly through the throng of partygoers, assessing each and every one. Staunch, pressed looking men in tops and tails made an endless hum of mindless small talk to stick thin, empty headed ladies. Their skins so pale and thin you silently questioned if they'd ever seen light of day at all instead being hauled up inside some fancy finishing school learning etiquette and elegance. It was exactly the type of social function you could imagine they'd all love, a chance to show off, a chance to brag... These were exactly the type of people you hated.

"A drink Miss?" A males voice suddenly came from your side making you jump somewhat as your attention snapped back, you turned to see a young waiter stood with a silver tray. On top, an array of drinks all in the finest of crystal glasses

"Thank you" you nodded with a gracious smile as you lifted a glass of what you assumed to be champagne from the tray and held it loosely within your fingers

"A fine choice Miss" he hummed happily before he gave the slightest suggestion of a bow and proceeded to walk off into the nearby crowds once more.

You lifted the heavy crystal glass to your lips, your nerves in need of some decent liquor to calm them slightly. With a deepened drawl you gulped enthusiastically at the liquid contained within the glass. No soon as it slipped down your throat, your face twisted involuntarily at the bitter, acrid taste the alcohol gave.

"Jesus!" You muttered quietly to yourself as your lips tried to recoil in protest over your teeth,   your brow furrowed as your eyes examined the drink closely."I've drunk some terrible shit in my time... But bloody hell" you whispered quietly to yourself before your shoulders shuddered slightly at the lingering bitterness.

It was then you saw him, through the crowds and the Blighters that closely flanked him, as clear as day and just as Jacob had described him... George Phillips. An unusually tall and overtly assertive man, his hair and impressively waxed moustache so coiffed and perfect you swore there wasn't a single strand out of place.... It wouldn't have dared.

With a gentle sip to your drink you decided to get in closer so that you could observe his movements better.

*

With a quietened click, the thick wooden door to Phillips' office opened tentatively, it offered a loud tortured squeak in remonstration as it pushed gradually open.  With a grimace at the sudden shrill, Evie's head poked cautiously around its edge making sure the coast was clear inside.