Chapter 34 Night Sky

Start from the beginning

My anxiety reached it's high, as I felt anger begin to replace my fear.

"You can't blame the boy for being insecure about his relationship with sister, though. No mother in the equation only makes it worse doesn't it, Katherine"?

I pressed my finger nails into my palms, my knuckles turning white. "Your brother has talked to you about it before, hasn't he? Or has he kept the secret that he has lived his life, wondering if he is to blame for the absence of your father. It has haunted him. He remembers how kind he was, how dependable, how trustworthy he was. But yet, Ashton can't quite figure out why he never returned home".

A chuckle erupted once again. "Little does he know you too feel the same. You wonder if you were the straw that broke the camels back. After all, why would he leave his daughter before he even met her. Was he ashamed"?

My eyes stinged as my body shook, no longer with just fear, but with also sadness and fury.

His hand released my mouth as he peered over at my avoiding eyes. "Is it hard, Katherine"? His tone was like he was speaking to a child. As if his intelligence was of so much more. "Is it hard trying to create this persona that you are a strong young woman"?

I didn't answer.

"It must truly aggravate you. Never been one to want to appear fragile. But it is tragic". Marcus's eyes bore into my skull as I swallowed a lump in my throat. "I can see right through you Katherine", he said, "and so can everyone else. They can all see just how truly pathetic you are".

His free hand grabbed a stray hair as I flinched slightly at his touch. He twirled the red strand at his finger as he spoke. "After all, only someone truly incompetent could fall so easily for the first boy to pay any attention to her".

"You mean like your sister"?

My question hung in the air. I don't know what made me say it. But I regretted it quickly as I felt the room itself drop forth degrees.

Marcus snickered, an action that caused me more panic than if he had hit me. "Oh Katherine", he said condescendingly, "sweet, sweet Katherine. Truly, you must know how stupid you are to try to anger me".

His hand gripped on my jaw, rather tightly as a soft gasp escaped my lips. He whispered one thing into my ear. "Let me make something a little more transparent to your dull mind. Lucas may act all tough. But he is nothing. I will kill you, Katherine. I will".

"Then do it already", I said rather stubbornly. "Enough with the empty words. Just do it".

Marcus laughed at my insolence. "My my, you have quite an amount of spice", he spoke, "how times have changed since the 1800's".

His hand released my jaw as it went towards my shoulder and moved away the hair they covered over it, exposing my neck.

"But do not worry, Katherine, I am a man of action. You will die", he said calmly, "just at the right time".

"And what makes now not the right time"?

"Why such haste to die, Katherine"?  His voice fell into a whisper. "I would assume it was of bravery, but judging how you have yet to meet my eyes and how fast your hear is beating, I am leaning towards foolishness".