one

I woke up the next morning feeling as if my spinal cord had been ripped out of my back, and a terrible headache that was impossible to ignore.

It had been such a horrible and sleepless night, considering I didn't have anything but a mattress that I was left to put on the floor in the middle of the empty living room to sleep on.

I walked with heavy and tired steps to the very open kitchen, dodging around boxes, though only then did I realize I literally owned nothing. Not one thing was in that fridge.

I did have a bag of trail mix, but I didn't feel as if that would make for a good breakfast meal.

That's when I had a tough decision to make; either try to catch up on the sleep I didn't get last night and starve, or go and find a place where I can atleast get something small to eat.

I went with that second option.

Okay, Alex, all this will get easier once you get settled. I reminded myself. Then again, who am I kidding. I'm talking to myself for goodness sakes.

After getting dressed and prepping myself for the day, I packed the few things I needed in my bag and made my way out the door.
I thought moving would do me some good, but wow, it was only the first day and I was already stressed.

I let out an annoyed sigh as I passed by the out-of-order elevator, internally wishing that I had brought a water bottle with me so I could keep hydrated during my journey down the stairs.

It is alot of stairs-- you can't blame me.

Once I made it down to the first floor, I held my breath as I pushed open the doors out into the bright daylight, letting my eyes adjust.
There was a gentle, cool breeze that blended perfectly with the summer air, and I relaxed my muscles, my painful headache that I had gotten as a prize from my lack of sleep seeming to disappear.

I had hardly taken a few steps away from the door to my apartment building when I heard a familiar voice call my name.

"Good morning, Alexandria!"

I tried not to cringe at the sound of my full name. I had gotten so used to people calling me just Alex, and the sound of Alexandria now sounded so strange.

I spun around to spot a smiley Riley trotting over towards me. His dark hair was perfectly done, and he was wearing a black t-shirt, black jeans, and black shoes.

It seemed like his wardrobe wasn't filled with much variety, but hey, he made it look good.

"Morning." I replied more awkwardly, not really knowing what to say otherwise.

He shoved his hands into his pockets, stopping infront of me, only inches away.
"What're you up to?" He questioned.

I took an uneasy step back.
"Uh, not much. I was just going to go find a place to eat a small breakfast at or something. What's up with--"

"Oh really?" Those hazel eyes of his lit up. "There's a Starbucks that's in walking distance-- it's super close-- Do you want me to take you there?"

My eyes widened in surprise. "You really don't have to. I'm sure I can--"

"Come on," he leaned forward a bit. "I really have nothing better to do today. I would be my pleasure to show you around a bit."

I didn't know how to respond.
"I mean-- Riley, I have to go shopping for stuff for my apartment after--"

"And, I'll leave you alone after that." He reassured.

I hesitated, my eyes searching his own. A gentle smile crept onto my lips before I had time to notice.
"Very dedicated, aren't you?"