He hadn't. Not really. Okay, she and Manik might have dressed the tree together and he might have spent another night at her home, perhaps on the couch, perhaps not... but tomorrow still nothing would have changed. He would have remained the multibillionaire Manik Malhotra the owner of the worldwide Malhotra's stores and she, Nandini Murthy, a temporary sales girl. Maybe it was better this way.

She closed her eyes and drew in a shaky breath before letting it out and slowly opening her eyes, she turned towards her door. "You didn't" she assured Malcolm flatly.

Malcolm staggered a little under the weight of the tree as he entered inside.

Unlike Manik, who had carried the tree effortlessly. As he seemed to do most of the things.

Malcolm placed the tree in the living room beside the window while she kept the bag of decorations on the table.

"Yes Malcolm" she said warily, not bothering to ask him for coffee.

"Was he Manik Malhotra? I was trying to recall where have I heard that voice then I remembered that he had called me yesterday asking about you. It was him, right?" asked Malcolm.

Nandini lifted her hand and rubbed it gently over her heart. Wow, it was still beating, even when it was shattered. "Yes, he was" she replied in a quiet voice.

When had she fallen in love with him?!

Was it when he'd taken charge of the situation in the lift? Or when he'd kissed her to shut her up when she'd gone hysterical? Had it been when he had insisted she should have a replacement for the boots she'd damaged? Or when, against all logic, he'd offered her the job as his PA? Was it when he'd joined her in the snow last night and had offered to drive her home? Or when he'd cooked dinner for her and kissed her? Perhaps when he'd looked so endearingly familiar wearing her father's sweater? Maybe when they had watched the movie in a companionable silence? Or had it been this morning when he'd woken her with a cup of coffee in bed? Maybe when they'd shopped for the tree and he had made her laugh with his funny stories? Or when they'd pelted each other with snowballs like a couple of carefree children? Was it when they'd ended up making out in the street, forgetting everything else around them? Or when they'd shopped for the decorations in a comfortable silence? Did the when really matter? The bottom line was, the worst had happened. She had fallen unconditionally and irrevocably in love with Manik Malhotra. And now that he had left, everything had gone even flatter, duller and colorless than it had been before.

Was it worse then everything? Like when she had fought with Sakshi and Soha before marching out of her home which she'd loved for years? Then when she'd lost her job with Malcolm Hawkins after being humiliated by him publicly? Or working for the manager from hell in a job she absolutely hated?

Yes, Manik's leaving was worse than any of those things!

In fact, she was going to burst into tears any moment...

"My arriving like that really did mess things up for you, didn't it?" Malcolm asked apologetically. "I'm really sorry, Nandini. I had no idea about what was going on. When he called yesterday, I thought that his interest in you was just as an employee. Had I known-"

"What can I do for you, Malcolm?" Nandini interrupted. Let him just get I over with so that she could lick her wounds in private. "You had told me clearly in our last meeting that you never wanted to see me again."

Malcolm grimaced, looking embarrassed now. "Things change" he muttered.

Nandini blew her nose for the tenth time as she sat up on her couch. She had spent the last few hours crying her heart out after Malcolm had left. Whatever he had said to her had been unbelievable and incredible but it still hadn't reduced even an iota of the pain in her heart that had been there ever since Manik had left.

She had thought of eating chocolate but hadn't done so because she knew that no amount of chocolate could help her in this case. The pain just wouldn't go away. Now she didn't have even her father's jumper to comfort herself with because Manik had taken it. Manik! She loved him. Oh how she loved him! She couldn't stop thinking about him even for a moment. Her heart felt heavy and she felt empty and incomplete.

Why? Why had her luck backfired on her...again? Why couldn't have Manik been a spoiled rich brat who liked to show off his wealth? Or a womanizer? Maybe he was. She didn't know. But, why he had to be so... nice? Why did he have to be the man of her dreams, her Prince Charming? And worse, why hadn't she remained strong from the beginning? She had known that there would be no fairy tale for her, right? Than how could she have let herself fall in love with him? It was all her fault. She had made a mistake so now she was going to pay for it, in heartbreak and tears.

Her mobile rang and she nearly jumped. It might be Manik and at once her heart lightened. She ran to the dining room and rummaged for her phone in the bag. The name displayed on the screen was of Riddhima. Her heart sank. Of course, how could Manik call her? He didn't have her number. And why would he call her? There wasn't any need for him to do so.

She took a deep breath and cleared her throat. Riddhima would come to know at once that something was wrong. Finally, when she felt that she was in control she pressed the button.

"Hi sweetie" Riddhima's ever smiling voice, always warm and comforting wavered her resolve not to cry.

"Hey" she managed in a fairly light voice.

"I know I shouldn't be calling because your lunch break is about to get over and then your boss from hell would be ready to kick your ass again but this couldn't wait. Oh God! Nandu I have the most fantastic news!"

"Yeah, what is it?" she tried to make her voice more cheerful.

Riddhima wasn't fooled even for a moment. "What's wrong?" she asked immediately. Nandini sighed. So much for trying.

"Nothing. I'm just feeling a bit poorly" she muttered.

"Yeah. And I have got two horns on my head. You always were a terrible liar, Nandu. So just spill out."

"I...I didn't go to work today" she somehow managed as she felt tears coming again.

There was a moment's silence. Then, "I'm coming over" Riddhima said firmly.

Nandini sighed as she took another sip of her coffee. It was midnight. Riddhima had left two hours back after a lot of convincing that she was fine. It had been useless to explain to Riddhima that she shouldn't arrive in this weather because as expected, she hadn't listened to a single word. Good old Riddhima. When she knew her best friend was hurting, she'd stick like a glue. So, she had come and Nandini had told her everything, every damn thing. Every kiss, every feeling...just everything. Riddhima had listened to everything and then, she had simply wrapped her in her arms.

Nandini had cried again, and again, and again. Riddhima had said little, patting her back softly and letting her vent out her pain. She had made for her an entire pot of coffee, knowing she would need it for the whole night. Riddhima's fantastic news was that Aryaman had got a promotion which had tripled his salary along with many other fringe benefits. She had been happy for her friends, but then the grief of losing Manik had taken over again and she had cried more and more. Now, she was tired and drained. Her eyes were red and puffy. Having Riddhima beside her had been good. She felt better. But the pain, the emptiness were still there, as they would remain, for the rest of her life...