↳ CHAPTER EIGHT

Start from the beginning

When she turned back to her own friends, however, Darcy and Jane stared back with slack jaws and wide eyes, causing red to flood Olympia's cheeks. "What?" she huffed innocently, trying to shrug off the emotional kiss before joining the two women on the side of the street for shelter and security.

Truth be told, even if she hadn't gotten to know Fandral, Volstagg or Hogun very well yet, there was a fear of something dark churning in the pit of Olympia's stomach as she watched the three of them swipe their swords at the metallic monster presented in front of them. Thor and Mjölnir were surely a duo not to be trifled with, but there was only so much he could do, and the sight of him dodging the incoming hits was nothing but a nightmare, as well. Sif, on the other hand, inevitably inspired Olympia, rather than worried — she was proud to have been surrounded by strong women all throughout the life she remembered, and as she followed Sif's relentless fighting, she was happy to know that would resume in Asgard.

But, even with the inhuman powers they carried, even with Thor's magic hammer instilled with lightning, the Destroyer was unexpectedly quick on its feet and wasted no time in flaunting its indestructibility. With one swift wave of its slender arm, the robotic being slammed the Warriors Three into the walls of the buildings around them, bruising and breaking them to a point where they no longer emerged from amidst the smoke.

Olympia was desperately hoping to see Fandral's untamed curls peek up from the gravel and ruins, but nothing happened, and Sif's attempt to pierce her spear through the Destroyer's nonexistent heart was fruitless, too. In a matter of seconds, the Goddess of War was thrown away from the robot's back, and as she, too, collided with the sand and asphalt, all that was left was Thor and the enemy his brother was controlling comfortably from his throne. All that was left, was a hopeful man, aiming to seek reconciliation, as he dropped his hammer to the ground with a dusty thud.

"What the hell is he doing?" Olympia hissed out, not really expecting an answer from Darcy nor Jane as she subconsciously raised her palm to her mouth and watched Thor abandon his weapons, strip himself bare of hostility as he stood in front of the Destroyer with his kind heart and caring soul at the front.

"Brother, whatever I have done to wrong you—whatever I have done to lead you to do this, I am truly sorry", Thor started out, full of remorse, his words spoken with such caution that it was almost impossible for Olympia to make sense of the mumbling. Panic was beginning to flood her heart — she couldn't afford to lose Thor when she had barely had time to comprehend just what he meant to her. "These people are innocent", the man tried to reason with Loki, "taking their lives, it will gain you nothing. So take mine, and end this."

As he took a sacrificial step towards the Destroyer, Olympia's entire body was screaming at her to do something, but her attempt to approach Thor as the Destroyer's dark metal began to heat up for one last blast of fire was short-lived — she didn't have time to leap into action when Jane had predicted her next move and taken her arm with an unwavering grip. Unable to watch how Thor was so willingly laying down his life as if he had somehow driven his brother to such unspeakable actions, Olympia prepared to bury her face in Jane's shoulder, but before she could, the Destroyer's face closed back up.

For a second, it seemed like Loki had come to a different conclusion, stepping away from his vengeful, bitter plans, and it earned a hopeful smile from Olympia only to tear it down when the Destroyer wound up delivering a mighty hit at Thor. Incapable of withstanding its power, the god flew across the street, earning a pained shout from the Amodei as he landed amongst the rubble and dented cars.

At last, Olympia wiggled out of Jane's hold, and while Thor's friends began to crawl up from the ground with groans, the woman rushed to her soulmate with shaky hands and the panicked repeating of no, no, no. Her knees ached as she threw herself onto the ground, but her utmost concern was the bloody, gashed man with parted lips, just enough for a wheeze to fill the thick air around him. He wasn't dead, and that was a win, but the faint smile he gave Olympia wasn't a good sign either — she was almost positive that should he try to speak, he'd undoubtedly muster out some sort of a goodbye, and she wasn't having it.