The stairs creaked as Stiles went up to them one by one until he stopped when he saw a figure at the top of the stairs. Welp, I am here to get Scott, so I might as well. "Scott?" The figure moved closer until they were on the same step as he was, and because Stiles is clumsy and has two left feet, his feet give out under him, and he goes flying down the stairs. Yeah, going to die from falling down the stairs. This one's going in the history books. He closes his eyes and welcomes the pain of falling down these old ass stairs, but it never comes. Stiles opened his eyes to see Derek in front of him, and he was holding him so he wouldn't fall backward. "Are you a freaking idiot? You can't even walk upstairs by yourself." I mean, this wouldn't be happening if I did know just walk up the stairs and wasn't scared by you. Stiles missed the gruff grumpy tone of Derek's voice, but he sounded worried for once instead of just plain angry.

Was he worried about him instead of being mad at him that he almost hurt himself? Usually, Derek just says that he needs to watch out and not get hurt in so many ways. But it's not like he does it on purpose. I mean, he hopes he doesn't because that would be weird. Stiles couldn't help himself and look up into Derek's eyes, which had turned a hazel brown instead of their normal blue color. He couldn't look away, and the man in front of him took a step back, a frown forming on his face. "Can you for once not almost die?" Stiles shrugged and leaned into Derek on purpose. "Well, if you wanted a thank you, that's all you had to say."

Stiles felt a weird sense of warmth as he was held in Derek's arms, and he was feeling overheated, so he tried to step back from the Alpha when he heard a low growl. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to make sure you don't...." Derek looked at the boy before him, making sure he was OK. He checked over his arms, legs, and face, almost going to hold his face in his hands, but he stopped himself cause what the hell is he doing?" Actually, hurt yourself." He finished looking away from Stiles. Stiles felt like his heart was going to beat out of his chest the longer Derek held him. His mind went elsewhere as he tried to focus on anything else but his eyes and how they looked so blue. They had switched back as they made their way up the stairs. He snapped out of it and, for real, stepped back from Derek feeling overwhelmed.

The two of them made their way up the rest of the stairs, and Stiles couldn't help but think about what was even happening. Derek let go of Stiles when they hit the top of the stairs, and for a while, Stiles couldn't think of what to say. This so isn't like Derek, but maybe he changed. Maybe in the four years I was gone, someone taught him to be nice for once. The yelling made Stiles have panic attacks, but he would never tell Derek that because what is the point. Derek really didn't care about him like Stiles cared about him during high school. But in high school, Derek was the older friend who would be like a creepy older friend if he wasn't the Alpha. He was just the mess up of the group. Almost dying and having to be saved caused Stiles to not ask for help when he was having a bad day. He felt like his friends had so much to deal with that they didn't need to be worrying about him. He was trivial, and the pack had other monsters to fry.

Usually, Derek only yells and makes Stiles feel like if it was a life-or-death situation, he would be left by Derek to fend for himself. Still, I guess he was wrong. The two years he's known the werewolf more like a sour wolf, now six, even though they never really talked in college, it seemed like something changed. This is weird. Anyone else, and he would have just let him fall. Wait, no, he would have let Scott fall because Scott is a werewolf, and he would have just gotten up again. Derek stepped back from the boy, no man in front of him. He wasn't a man anymore in many ways than one. He had gotten taller, almost taller than him, and Derek found it refreshing that he didn't really have to look down anymore when he talked to him.

"Why did you do that?" Stiles' voice made Derek snap back to focusing on what was happening here and now and not years ago when Stiles was in high school. Stiles was waiting for an answer, and Derek had one, but he wouldn't say what he really thought. Stiles had a lot of things running through his head like I couldn't even walk upstairs, and I had to be saved again. He was hoping Derek would say something like they're friends, or he kinda, maybe five percent cared if Stiles lived or died. "Scott wouldn't like his best friend in the hospital, so maybe watch where you're going next time." And he was back. Stiles flinched at his tone. And then he went into his room and slammed the door for good measure. OK, so he didn't change in the four years at college. Cool. Good to know. It was nice to be back. The door's slam also made him flinch, but he took a deep breath and went on the next time.