“How goes it, Ms. Simmons?”

“Simeon won't stop eating the crayons if that's what you're wondering,” she replied drily, trying to hide the irritation she would sometimes feel. It was already three weeks into the school year, and all of the others kids had just accepted their fate – except him.

“That boy's gonna be a genius.” Paul barked a sharp laugh.

In his later forties, Paul Wilkes taught the eighth grade class and had taught her many things in the lessons of patience and care. His blonde hair was beginning to gray, the harsh lights above making him look much older and tired. Shuddering from the slight chill of the gym and the memories of her first few months at Napolm Elementary School, she pushed the nerve-wracking memories and quickly got into the conversation. All of the teachers at the school were easy and effortless to talk to, and Jane thanked the Lord everyday that she had only had to wait a year before the previous kindergarten teacher had retired.

“So,” Mary Ellis another co-worker began, extremely confident as always, “how's Titus doing?”

“Don't even try.” Sam rolled her eyes before forking a piece of chicken.

Anna agreed with Sam whole-heartedly on this subject. Mary was a little bit of an enthusiast when it came to the species of men, especially if that certain man didn't return her flirtatious gesture. Anna liked Mary, but she just didn't think Mary was the right woman for Titus. Even with her flawless, skim figure, the pretty brunette just wasn't the one; she had been the closest of friends with the man for long enough to know who and what was right for him. And Mary, she just wasn't a good candidate.

A few of the other woman from work had even asked her about why he had stayed single for all this while, and to this very day, she still didn't know. Despite the fact that his brothers and she asked him about it almost constantly, he always remained tight-lipped about the subject and would focus both their attentions onto something else.

“Swell,” she replied, trying to use the one-word answer as a shield. She didn't want Titus wasting his time with a woman who wasn't right for him. “So, how 'bout them-”

“He just seems so lonely, ya know?” Mary pouted, jutting out her lips. “Don't you think he just wants to get out more? But I guess he does work a lot more than the rest of us.”

“Well, I wouldn't exactly say that he's lonely. He's just busy with the ranch and all.”

“I suppose you're right. Do you think it'd be weird if I asked him out to dinner the next time he stops by Brant to get some more feed?”

Anna tried not to roll her eyes at the mentioning of Mary's brother, the woman's only connection to Titus. She had literally lost count how many times Mary had all but begged her to set her and Titus up on a date, and every time that Anna so much as mentioned a word of it, Titus would give her a hard look and tell her exactly what was on his mind about the subject.

“I have a better idea,” Anna replied, a plan popping in her head. “How about you and him go out to dinner with Hunter and I? That way it'll feel more relaxed and easy-going.”

Yeah, she thought sarcastically to herself, easy-going my ass. If Mary really was set out to 'ride the cowboy', then Anna would make sure the woman got a flat out rejection from the man himself. She knew for an absolute fact that Titus would hate every second of it, but Anna figured that she may as well be there to ease the friction during it.

“Oh.” Mary's eyes became calculating and expectant. "That sounds great!”

Feeling the need to not bring Mary's hopes up too much, she said slowly, “Just don't push him though. He doesn't like taking things too fast.”

Titus: Book Two of the Cantrell Brothers Seriesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें