Pre-face

*****************************************************************

Pre-face

*****************************************************************

                 ‘It’s just too darn cold down here…And bright! How can anyone truly deal with this?’ were my first thoughts as air whooshed around my body and noises assaulted my ears. I scrunched up my face, trying to close my eyes as tight as I could against the brightness surrounding me after months of darkness. ‘Wait. Air?’ I opened my mouth, took a deep breath, and screamed. ‘What is going on around me? This is all so strange! I don’t like this!’ My screaming turned to hiccupping sobs while I tried to open my eyes and look around. I had been handed to someone. ‘Hold on… Handed? Why was I carried in the first place?’ 

So many questions buzzing in my head as I continued to try and see. I had my eyes open now, just a crack, but everything was all blurry. Like there was some kind of film on my eyes. My stomach rumbled, I was hungry. I had never felt this before. I started squalling again. It hurt! I want it to go away!

              “Try to feed her. Have you thought of a name, Mora?” said a pleasant voice.  It belonged to a pretty middle-aged nurse, with shoulder length blonde hair and soft hazel eyes. She continued to go about checking various machines and cleaning up around the room. Mora peered down at the tiny bundle nestled at her breast. Her light brown eyebrows drew together in thought as she studied the rosy pink face, racing through names in her head. She had no clue. She had wanted a boy. “Cordelia Rose Drakkonis,” Mora whispered. I guess I can live with that.

            I turned my head, opened my eyes wide, and tried hard to focus on the face above me. Still blurry, but not so bad…. I guess this is my mother. As I watch her look at me, I hear her take a quick breath. “She has dragon eyes!” Mora exclaimed, yet no one heard her, her surprise so great, her voice had barely been a whisper. I blink at her, wondering what she is saying. I cannot see her face clearly, but her voice is warm and gentle, making me feel safe and at ease. 

           I close my eyes and drift off to sleep. I seem to not have a lot of energy at the moment, so much has happened. Who knows what the future holds for me, there is a lot to process. Everything happens for a reason, I suppose and now there is a whole new lifetime to live.

                        Please feel free to vote and comment! :) I will update as much as I can, I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I hope everyone enjoys!